Favorite Film: Portraits / Scanned ?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2193768
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Favorite Film: Portraits / Scanned ?

Slowly getting back into medium format and first time into large, will be scanning 100% and interested in opinions about color portrait films, thinking Astia vs Porta at this point.

Thanks,

Old 05-09-2012   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684
Default Re: Favorite Film: Portraits / Scanned ?

Porta 160 is, as far as I know, the most recently updated film (late last year) on the market. While I have not used it, I only shoot B&W film, reports say it is spectacular.
Old 05-12-2012   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 8075
Editing OK?: Ask first

Portra160 is pretty wicked, even when scanned. You know, I'm sure there are other fntastic slide films as well, but I've really fallen in love with the skin tone rendering of Kodak E100g, though not the development prices!
Old 07-08-2012   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 304
Editing OK?: No

Fuji has made the decision for you Astia is discontinued, and Kodak no longer make slide films, so it looks like it's Portra.
Ben Myerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2193768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Myerson View Post
Fuji has made the decision for you Astia is discontinued, and Kodak no longer make slide films, so it looks like it's Portra.
Peachy, I picked a fine time to start drifting back into film. The very first roll I finished shooting after being100% digital for ten years was Ektachrome pushed through an old 6x9 folder (purchased from a fellow in the UK through ebay as a matter of fact). I was truly blown away by the cropped image after scanning. If something like the Epson 750 had been around and affordable at the dawn of the digital age film might have held a bigger market share today.

alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684

Not many of us shooting with old folding cameras ten years ago. Mostly they seem to have become popular as a cheap way to get back into film. It was so for me, deciding on 6x6 because someone had given me an Omega B22 enlarger.

Then came the discovery of how much fun it was using a one lens camera that fit in a pocket or conveniently hung off the shoulder in its case.

I still have my 35mm kit that is far more extensive than anything I have been able to afford in digital, but why haul all that around for images that are not any better? When I am willing to haul a load around with me, I have 4x5.

www.tomrit.com
tomrit is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: