Finally! - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012   #11
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Finally!

Since I decided to keep the Symmar for the shutter, I tried to open the rear cell and see if I could clean out that fungus. My lens spanner slipped gouging the retaining ring (why I did not try this until I decided I was not going to send it back). Then I tried to make a spanner out of an old pair of calipers that fit better, which would not budge the retaining ring. Then I tried with a drift and hammer, the ring would still not budge.

I guess I have to get a chuck with outside jaws for my lathe (another of my bad deals from eBay, all the parts that came with the lathe out of the box were missing), and cut the ring out of the threads.

Unfortunately, I will have to get the credit card paid down before I can afford to buy anything else (sigh). Luckily, I do have the 135 from the Crown Graphic to play with in the meanwhile.

To show how my luck compares to others. I have a friend in England, who decided he wanted a view camera, he makes an offer to a seller over there on eBay, and it turns out the camera came with the 8x10 conversion that the seller did not bother to mention in his ad. When I buy stuff, I do not get extras; I get damaged, missing parts, and a lot of BS. (SIGH!!!!)

On the other hand, I do now have a sweet working camera, even if it did take a bit of doing.
Old 06-16-2012   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19298

Tom, before you go through all that, try the tiniest of drops of penetrating oil, followed by a day or so in the freezer, then try turning it.
epatsellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #13
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

TOM! STOP!

Have you made any pictures with that lens yet. If not, just shoot some- you may be surprised. It sounds like the next thing you are gonna get out of the tool box is a pipe wrench with an extra long leverage handle! OIL- FREEZER Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Some times mold acts like that Lock-Tite(tm), the compound used on nuts and bolts that you never want to open again. If any oil is used (and I don't recommend it) get the stuff they use on analog watches and don't till the shutter after you apply it or it will run onto the lens or the shutter and KAPUT! That lens sounds like a hospital case.

Ed
Old 06-17-2012   #14
Dromedary

The lens is probably trash.

No need to mess up the shutter, the rear cell unscrews easily, but the fungus is either between the air spaced elements, or in the cement layer of the doublet. The front cell has one spot of what looks like Schneideritus. Anyone have a rear cell from maybe a chrome Symmar 210mm lens with a trashed front element they want to sell cheaply?

Too be honest, I am not highly motivated here, as I have the Optar to play with, and my energy level is pretty low at the moment due to the a-fib. I also diverted funds from the lathe project to this camera, and I have a dozen other projects hanging until I get the lathe 100%. Then I have to figure out how to afford a mini milling machine. Too many projects, too little energy, too little money... Sigh, when I had the energy and the money I did not have the time.

Whine, whine, while, all I do is whine (GRIN! Luckily, I do not take myself all that seriously. There are a lot of folks my age that are dead already. Compared to that, who can really complain?).
Old 06-17-2012   #15
Vicuna

ignore the schneideritis, it has exactly zero effect on image quality.

As to the fungus and such, this was my main lens for 4x5 and 8x10 for about a year or so:

Didn't affect the image quality one bit. (yes, that's a chunk out of the glass about the size of the tip of your pinky or so)
epatsellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012   #16
Dromedary

Follow up,

Since I could not get the rear cell open, the lens has just set in a zip lock baggy with a bag of drying crystals. Today I BIN'ed a #1 lens board on eBay. I will give the lens a try, but am looking for one with a bad shutter for a cheap price.

I see a couple of sets of lens elements without shutters, but those older lenses were, I think, hand fitted and the shutter housing turned to the exact inter-optic distance needed for those particular cell. With the proper equipment, I could determine exactly what that needed to be, but the proper equipment costs a lot more than a complete set of new lenses for the camera. On the other hand it is easy to mic the distance on the old shutter, if you have it.

Modern computer designed and manufactured lenses have a lot closer tolerances.

Anyway, I am trying to advoid getting in a rush and thus spending more money than I can afford.
Old 07-16-2012   #17
Dromedary

Probably a final follow up on this lens, as I bought another which will, hopefully, not have any problems. The glass on the new, to me, one is described as "pristine". I will have it in a week. If no problems, I will have a 100% functioning 4x5 view camera, finally.

I put the one in issue here on the lens board I just got and shot a couple of sheets of film with it, I will not get around to developing it immediately, but wanted to have a record of how that lens works with the big star of the fungus in the middle of the rear lens. The shutter seems to be in perfect working order, and I will be keeping it.
Old 07-16-2012   #18
Vicuna

Tom, let me know if you are getting rid of the "bad" elements, I can always use another 210.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: