Film Processing results
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1263
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Film Processing results

Since "Medium Format" film is new to me (my first role, out for development, should be back any day), using my Hasselblad 500 c/m, I'm wondering what I should be looking for in the pictures, with regard to the effects that Medium Format and the Hasselblad have on the pictures.

Obviously, the F Stop and Shutter Speed choices, stillness of the camera, choice of subject, lighting, all affect the outcome..........but beyond that........what are some of the obviously inherent things I should see in Medium Format film photos?

(Choice of film type and development houses also a factor of course)

-Soupy1957

-SCampbell
soupy1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 8075
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Film Processing results

The camera really shouldnt impart anything out of the normal, unless there's something off with it. I mean, you wont be seeing any light leaks, or distortions (unless you're using a wider lens, or what not). I mean, you'll see some dang sharp images-- medium format negatives are pretty large and tend to show more of the subjects nuances than say a 35mm negative. Your negatives should be square, since I believe the 500c/m is 6x6, which is always charming. As you must have noticed while shooting, having a square versus a rectangle is so foreign, but interesting. It opens you up a lot more artistically.
Old 04-24-2012   #3
Vicuna

Not only were my negatives "square" but the development house sent me back square pictures that were 2 1/4 x 2 1/4. Didn't expect that. I guess I figured that (this was my first role of 120 film shot and developed, ever), they would send them back to me 4 x 4 or 4 x 6.

The first role was B&W, and I did some blocking shots, and some other experimental shots. For the record, the 3 blocking shots were one F Stop up and down, and one in the middle, and there was very little difference between them (as I suppose should be expected). I'll examine them a bit more closely today. Last night I didn't have time.

-Soupy1957
Old 04-24-2012   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684
Editing OK?: Ask First

Sounds like they sent you a proof sheet. Were all the photos on one sheet of paper?

Proof sheets are used to select the images you want to have enlarged. If you are having custom prints made you can even mark the croppings wanted on it. Decades back I used to sell portraits from them with suggested croppings already marked on the shots I recommended.

By the way only pro labs seem to do contact sheets. I never found 35mm contact sheets much use as the images were too small, but a dozen 2-1/4 square images were great.
Old 04-26-2012   #5
Vicuna

Nope.........it wasn't a proof sheet. I remember doing those in my High School Photography class. These were individual prints.

-Soupy1957
Old 06-26-2012   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy1957 View Post
[...] with regard to the effects that Medium Format and the Hasselblad have on the pictures.
Increased sharpness and less grain than you're used to...?

2 1/4 prints does sound like contact prints (that would be about the size of a 6x6 neg).

4x4 shouldn't be a problem, since they could be printed on 4x6 paper and cropped. I know Dwayne's sends 4x4 prints for 6x6, and I think 4x5 (or maybe it's 5x7...) for 6x7.
O|||||||O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012   #7
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 1445

I send my 120 roll film.. c41 and e6... to Fuji, via the "Send Out Only" Kiosk in Walmart stores. I can get transparencies uncut, or I can get prints. The pricing is exceptional because I don't pay for shipping (the film rides the Walmart trucks to Fuji both ways). Fuji does not process E6, but sends it out.

Transit time is ten business days, and when the film and results come back, Walmart calls me.

Mind you, I did NOT say Walmart processes the film. I put my special instructions on the envelopes that sit in the Fuji Kiosk, insert my film, and drop it in the slot. Walmart never opens, or looks at my film any time in this process. I can get the film back sleeved in a roll, or cut and sleeved. I can get prints a size I desire as long as I cover that in special instructions.

I do not confer with any Walmart employees about this, even in the photo department. It is rare that you will find an employee who:

Knows what medium format is
Can tell you anything about the pricing
Do anything but simply get "glazed eyes" when you confront them.

I did luck out on the last (current) Walmart where I just moved. There is a very courteous and helpful young lady managing in Photo department who knew exactly what I wanted when I asked and directed me right to the Fuji Kiosk next to the digital camera section.

It's been working well for me for 7-8 years now. The results are professional as the work is done by Fuji professional labs (NOT IN STORE). And the prices.. I shoot generally 6X9 for 8 shots on 120 and have never (that's never!!!) paid over $10.

Many Walmart employees will tell you they don't do film processing if they have closed out their one hour machines. LOOK FOR THE FUJI KIOSK. It will likely be somewhere near the limited array of digital camera's they also cannot answer questions about.

If your politics won't allow you to walk into a Walmart, you are missing a bet on medium format processing, AND shooting yourself in the foot. It's truly difficult to get a roll of medium format processed professionally for less than twice the amount I am paying. I've sent rolls to other labs, and paid the postage both ways, plus the processing and paid over $20 not counting the roll of film. Postage kills the deal.
Saichiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 8075

Funny thing: Its actually cheaper for me just to just go to the local photolab than to go through walmart, mostly because the closest walmart to me is nearly double the distance it is to the photolab. Plus I'd much rather support a local establishment that puts out the top quality processing and prints versus a fuji kiosk.
Old 07-08-2012   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 854

I try to avoid putting film in the mail, if possible...

Once you stick it in the box, there's no telling what will happen to it. I've had film get 'lost in the mail' (I think the lab really lost it, but I can't prove that) a few times. And it just seems that there is no lab that is as careful with my film as I am...

I'd say, for the cost of sending out 10 rolls of film, you could be doing your own. The chemicals are cheap. About $20-30/year for B&W, maybe double that for color. It depends on how much you shoot that, of course. If you shoot a lot, it is A LOT cheaper to do it at home.
Old 07-18-2012   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

Commercial houses typically return 5x5 prints from a hassy. You can get any size you want, but these are about a dollar a piece. Processing your own b/w is easy and doesn't take much of an investment. You don't even need an enlarger to make proof sheets. Enlargers are available for very little money on the used market.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: