rebuilt cameras...
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2006   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 16
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default rebuilt cameras...

I like large format cameras now that I am retired and the studio passed on to my son in law. I built a 4x5 on an old polaoid 250 frame not much to it really and certainly not much to look at. Made the back out of a hank of hair and a piece of bone. got myself a kodak 3a, then robbed the lens. I did have to buy a couple of film holders. Camera works pretty good. Oh yeah, I use a bit of plexiglass scrubbed with a fine emory cloth as a focusing screen. total cost well under $50. It was as much fun to build as it is to shoot.

Stuck a 105 aniston lens from a kodak tourist onto a polaroid 80b and then a graflex roll film holder on the rear. Made a passable medium format camera. I have a 127 wallensak lens rom a polaroid 110 on a 250 frame a graflex roll holder for a really nice 120 camera but it is a little larger than the 80b and more clunky looking.

I even made a five by seven from a polaroid 250 using the rear element of a B & L rectiliner element on the front of the lens. Shoots a passable 5x7 image.

So large format and good quality medium format cameras dont have to cost a fortune. Of course I could have bought a good speed graffic for what I have investing in learning how to do this. I have one of those to by the way, but it was a gift. I certainly wouldn't buy one.

Old 10-10-2006   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: rebuilt cameras...

Good story. Do you digitize the images once they're taken? If so, how are you doing it?
Old 10-10-2006   #3
Vicuna

I only shoot black and white.... paper negs just get scanned on a flat bed scanner. Negative get scanned the same way but I have a home made back light using a trouble light with reflector and a florescent bulb and lost of paper as defusion screans. Yes take a look in the black and white gallery for a image from a paper negative i posted. Called april calendar page I think...
mysteryscribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

Aaah... that's nuthin!

Street Polaroid

Just kidding. Did you really make a back out of a hank of hair?
Old 10-10-2006   #5
Vicuna

The back is masonite and I truly think it is a hank of hair and a piece of bone. Also a couple of window sash moldings as guides and lots of liquid nail to hold it all together but it works peachy keen.
Old 10-10-2006   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

I built a Bender 4x5 kit camera, didn't shoot much with it though. I'm a long time DIY'er... although I use a Sinar F these days.

Do you have any pictures of your homebuilt? I'd love to see it.
Old 10-10-2006   #7
Vicuna

I dont have a picture but I have a ten dollar digital camera. I think I can get you one tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2006   #8
Vicuna

Okay as promised photos...the first is a case of cameras I built with i think two display pieces i havent touched ... oh yeah I promised that one day I would take my contact cement and some red leatherette and tart this one up.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7...ademo1if6.jpg* * * http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7...ademo2pt7.jpg* *
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7...rademo3nf2.jpg
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7...rademo4yr5.jpg

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: