Medium Format day Dreaming
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2006   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Medium Format day Dreaming

Just daydreaming about the following:

1. How many people are still using their medium format cameras?

2. What are some of your fond moments and/or experiences?

3. Which Do You Prefer To Shoot, Color or Black and White?

3. What type(s) of medium format camera/accessories do you own?

Me:

I use my Mamiya RB7 and Bronica ETRSI almost every chance I get.

Every chance I get to use them is a great experience and then the development process is always exciting. Most rewarding moment was when I finally learned how to stop taking multiple exposures.

Shoot mostly B&W

Mamiya RB67 with 90mm and 127mm lenses
Mamiya 645
Bronica ETRSI with 75mm lens

Old 10-09-2006   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 15
Default Re: Medium Format day Dreaming

1. I am still using mine... coincidence, Mamiya RB67 Pro SD with 127mm and 150mm lenses.

2. Fond moment was watching the size of that negative for the first time. Being able to see detail without a magnifier. I do my own B+W film developing and printing.

3. I prefer B+W about 90% of the time. Use Kodak T-Max 100 for B+W and Fuji Provia 100F for chromes.

4. I own a powered drive 6X7 film magazine for the chance that I need a second film back. And I have one of those dual cable releases to activate mirror lock up before pressing the shutter. Looking for a nice Mamiya case to carry the kit.

Next lens purchase should be a 60mm for landscapes. And really need a 645 back when I can do with the smaller negative. 10 frames per 120 roll is too much work.

SensorDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #3
Alpaca

Thanks for the comment!
photojazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 13

I use a Mamiya C220. I put at least 2-3 films through it each month, more if I'm travelling to take photo's. It's not my only camera, I also use 4x5 and 35mm.

Being a TLR, I just love the way I can view and have an opaque IR filter over the taking lens.

I prefer using it with B&W, usually Ilford Delta 100, sometimes PanF+, Acros 100 or Rollei IR400. I do put Velvia 50 and Provia 100F through it, but far less, I can't waste what I have stored in the freezer.

I use the C220 with the 55mm, 80mm and 135mm Sekor's. I also use a device that holds Cokin A filters over the viewing lens for adjustment, then allows you to swing over the taking lens. I miss not having interchangeable backs, as very little 220 film is available now, changing film in some circumstances can be a pain.
Old 10-16-2006   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 16

I shoot a collection of cameras I made myself. Most are medium format based on one of the polaroid frames... the lenses vary from camera to camera.

Going to a retro re enactment and becoming part of the show with my clunky old cameras.

I shoot black and white almost exclusively.

At the moment I am mostly shooting one of three cameras a cobbled 3x5.... a cobbled 2x3 cut film camera and a cobbled 6x7 roll film camera. I'm mostly shooting in the lab at the moment.
mysteryscribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006   #6
Alpaca

I still use my Mamiya RB 67 Pro S with a 55mm, 90mm, and 180mm lenses and Mamiya 645 Pro with 80mm and 150mm lenses. I do all my own prosessing, color, trans and b&w neg and print with a preference for b&w. I still shoot 4x5 too. I like my darkroom better than my digital work station. The darkroom just seems more artistic and satisfiying to me. I have a complete darkroom with a Saunders 4550 XLG enlarger,Jobo CPA2 and CPE2 and Durst Printo processors. Tons of fun!
stratcat55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 104771

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratcat55
I still use my Mamiya RB 67 Pro S with a 55mm, 90mm, and 180mm lenses and Mamiya 645 Pro with 80mm and 150mm lenses. I do all my own prosessing, color, trans and b&w neg and print with a preference for b&w. I still shoot 4x5 too. I like my darkroom better than my digital work station. The darkroom just seems more artistic and satisfiying to me. I have a complete darkroom with a Saunders 4550 XLG enlarger,Jobo CPA2 and CPE2 and Durst Printo processors. Tons of fun!
I definately prefer a silver darkroom versus a digital, tho I love both. There is just something about watching an image develope that still gives me a thrill.
Old 11-17-2006   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066

1. How many people are still using their medium format cameras?

I am use 6x7 and 6x9 cm Fuji rangefinder cameras primarily for shooting weddings.

2. What are some of your fond moments and/or experiences?

I have fond memories of the 6x6cm Mamiya twin lens reflex cameras I once used.

3. Which Do You Prefer To Shoot, Color or Black and White?

I prefer to shoot color transparencies and color print medium format film. All of my black and white work I do on 4x5 and 8x10 sheet film.

3. What type(s) of medium format camera/accessories do you own?

None because I reserve the accessories for my 35mm SLR camera system.
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 21

I own an RB67 with a 90mm and my 180mm is due in Monday! WOOHOO!!! i've been wanting that lens since I got it and finally convinced my wife that I needed it! Anyways I shoot as much as possible (mostly the weekends) and I used to shoot a lot of B&W before I deployed but I don't have access to a darkroom anymore so now I'm going to get into chromes. Hopefully this will help my exposure abilities. I've shot a few rolls of Velvia and seeing those slides for the first time on a homemade lightbox I about pooped myself! lol (sorry for the details!) I'm going to put a few rolls of Astia through it next weekend with my wife to practice my on-location flash techniques. I've never shot outdoors with flash so I really hope my results are satisfying. I need a darn Vagabond for my Alienbees so I can actually take those with me instead of fiddling with a very old and quirky Vivtar 283.

-Always striving to learn more and be the best-

Mamiya RB67
2x Canon AE-1P
AlienBee's lights
Accessories
jgoeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19298

I have 3 RB's, with a full set of lenses, minus the 37 fisheye and 140 macro. About 85% B&W, balance split between crossprocessed E6 velvia, E6 processed Velvia and NPS. I shoot between 5 and 20 rolls a week, and have all the useful accesories, prism, ext. tubes, lotsa backs (never enough, though) compendium shade, hunting for a cheap polaroid back for emulsion transfer work.

I find myself reaching for the small camera (I shoot everything from Nikon 35mm to 8x10) quite a bit more than I thought I would, consequently, the 4x5 and 8x10 cameras just sit there leering on the shelf quite a bit.

I previously used an RB outfit when I shot for a living, some 18 or so years ago. At least these days it's a bit more affordable than back then.

erie

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: