PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Medium and Large Format (https://photocamel.com/forum/medium-large-format/)
-   -   Mamiya RB67 just purchased. (https://photocamel.com/forum/medium-large-format/139156-mamiya-rb67-just-purchased.html)

patterfr 07-20-2011 09:16 AM

Mamiya RB67 just purchased.

Lucky enough to come across a very nice used RB67 (Thanks delthedog!) It has a 120 film back.
I've read the manual, scoured the internet, and ordered some film to give it a go and see what all the medium format and film enthusiasts are raving about.
2 questions.
What film B&W and color would you recommend (I'd say I'd be shooting mostly portraits)?
Can someone explain whether they used print film or slide film and why and whether they just get prints or scan the negatives (what scanner)?
Thanks in advance, and yes I know the best answer is to just go try the different things and see what I like, but I am hoping to get some info as well.

Brooks 07-21-2011 09:22 AM

Re: Mamiya RB67 just purchased.

Congratulations on the RB. I have a Mamiya RZ Pro II that I haven't used in several years. You'll love the bellows focusing. Use a tripod, these tanks are heavy!

When I was shooting medium format film, I used Kodak T-Max 100 and Kodak EPP color trans film. I processed my own BW and made silver gelatin prints. If you are only scanning film to make digital prints, I'd suggest a color negative film which can be scanned and used as color or BW. EPP is a color transparency film and needs careful metering and exposure. Color negative film is more forgiving. Just ask any old-school film shooting wedding photographer.;D

cyclohexane 07-21-2011 09:28 AM

For color negative film, I liked Fuji Pro 160S. Optimized for scanning with somewhat lower contrast, and also makes nice C-prints, should you choose to get them done more traditionally.

We mostly made C-prints in the darkroom because that was what our program at UCLA was centered on. The program really ought to have formal black-and-white, but they we really paranoid about all the students handling chemicals, as opposed to just the trained and paid lab technicians.

Oh yeah, for scanners I've used the Epson V700 and V750M. They're not dedicated film scanners, but they do a pretty good job... Good enough for many uses. The 750 comes with Silverfast (and some other software), and is a good bit faster than the 700, making it a better deal, IMHO, for the difference in price.

patterfr 07-21-2011 10:23 AM

Thanks fellas!
Appreciate greatly you taking the time.
Gonna break it out this weekend.

Ed Shapiro 07-23-2011 10:27 PM

The RZ is a fine machine- a real work horse. For decades I used the Kodak line of color negative film and still use Portra 160 when I want to work with color film. It takes very well to scanning as well as analog printing.

Fro transparencies, I go with Fugi materials. I used to find that most of the Ektachrome films were very cyan/blue and required pretty thick filter packs. I found that Fugi transparency film required little or no filtration. At one point I found many of the Fugi transparency emulsions became too contrasty for the catalog work I was doing.

In black and white, my favorite film was, believe it or not, Verechrome- it had great dynamic range- almost impossible to believe. Processed in D-76 or HC110 dilution B it made prints that looked as if they were derived from 4x5 film. Not VERICHROME is gone and I do use T-Max. For good results in black and white, I find that processing the film must be carried out with the utmost precision as to time, gentle adgitation and tack on temperature control. Temperature differentials between solutions can cause minor reticulations (a shifting of the emulation) and poor grain structure resulting in very poor quality. Air drying is best.

I use a number of European papers for old fashioned printing procedures.

Ed:afro:

patterfr 07-25-2011 02:32 PM

Thanks Ed and all.
I got the RB not the RZ.
Now I gotta learn about negative scanning and such.
Always something.

HighMark Adventures 07-25-2011 10:15 PM

So did you get it out? How did you like? Kinda cool being able to rotate the back eh? Like I said I have only shot b/w with my rz67 so far. Unlike the peeps here I have a shop develop it and scan to a thumb drive for me. I have used both the ilford hp5 and delta professional 400. Have not tried the delta 3200 yet. I'm still new to this mf thing also though.

What did you think after you squeezed the trigger for the first time? What a beautiful sound it is. Lol

patterfr 07-25-2011 10:28 PM

The first time I squeezed it, it didn't work until I got it all set up. Then I heard it and ...wow...I was in love hahaaha.
I've shot 2 rolls: 1 100Ekta and 160 Portra color I believe. I'll pick them up tomorrow. I dropped them off at the local shop that says they don't make prints, but can develop them for me. I'm currently looking into a scanner, but I might have to go in search of a better lab. Even if it's mail. The scanning thing might be cool.

And to be honest, I shot a roll of portraits of my daughter(cost me 5 bucks bribe for the sitting) and forgot to rotate the back into portrait orientation(dumbass!)

It's cool. It makes you think about exposure and composition, and I'm hoping there's as much latitude in exposure with film as everyone says, because there ain't as much "clicks" on the ss and aperture ring (used to 1/3's stops)

SO far I love it. I have a quick release plate and a solid tripod. Hell I was even able to talk the wife into sitting for a few pics when she saw that camera;D.

I also have come to realize I'm an instant gratification kind of guy so this'll be good for me.....or drive me insane. I'll post one from the first roll when I can.

THanks. WOuld love to see some of your photos too.

And I even figured out how to sync the flash so I'll have to try that too. I'll post as i go.

HighMark Adventures 07-25-2011 11:01 PM

Ya I was in love too. Still am when I pull it out. Just not as much anymore. Maybe we should start a thread to help ,ummmmmmm, motivate us( well me anyway) to get out shoot with it. :). How did you like that huge viewfinder?

I'm going to load up my 6x6 back with some delta pro 400 and push it to 3200 just because they say you can and see what it looks like. See you have have motivated me already. :)

patterfr 07-25-2011 11:14 PM

Love the viewfinder.
Let's see what you get. We can jsut turn this into a photo thread.
Pushing film is definitely something I've heard about but don't "know" about.
I'm in.
Or we can start a thread-Lets see your Mamiya MF photos.

Let me know when you shoot with it again.