Mamiya RB67 just purchased. - Page 5
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011   #41
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 106270
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Mamiya RB67 just purchased.

I have been using my RB67 for many years
For BW I use Ilford 100delta professional
For color negative I use Portra 160 eithe VC or NC
For transparency I useFuji Provia 100F
I hope you enjoy your RB67 as much a I have
Henrycrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #42
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 106270

Repeat Reply
Iam new to this forum so I may have replied incorrectly
I have used myRb67 for many years
For BW I use Ilford 100 Delta prpfessional
For Color negative I us either portra160 VC (for warm colors) 160NC (for mor natural color)
For transparency I use Fijichrome Provia 100F
I hop that you enjoy your RB67 as much as I have
Henrycrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #43
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 29

Belated congratulations on your Mamiya purchase. The camera seems to be working out very nicely for you. Great photos! I believe your camera has a rotating back. Was that one of the features that attracted you to this camera? I'm interested in getting back into medium format, but I really don't know all the camera models available (used, of course) that have this feature. Do you have any insight from your pre-purchase investigation concerning medium format models available with rotating backs? Thanks to you and to anyone else who can lend me a hand with this!
photodog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #44
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

I have a Mamiya RZ Pro II. The revolving back is nice but the bellows focusing is the schnitz!

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #45
Alpaca

The schnitz -- is that a good thing?
Old 08-22-2011   #46
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Quote:
Originally Posted by photodog55 View Post
The schnitz -- is that a good thing?
The schnitz is the best!

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #47
Alpaca

Brooks, I've got a quick question for you, but I'd appreciate a response from anyone listening in: A seller told me it's possible to run 120 film through an RB67 220 back. What do you think of that claim? Thanks!
Old 09-16-2011   #48
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

I think Brooks should chime in on this in case I am incorrect.

I have run 120 film through my 220 back with good results. Theoritically speaking, however, there could be a differential in pressure plate pressure and in the winding mechanism due to the differences in the thickness between the two kinds of film. The backing paper and and film combination is thicker on the 120 films than on the single layer of film in the 220 types- the leader paper only kicks in at the beginning and end of the roll . When using the 120 film in the 220 back I used to fined more tension on the winding levers when winding the film in and out as the tape passed through the guide rollers in the back.

I know that in Rollei camera the 120/220 compatible models had 2 different pressure plat position- one for each of the sizes. I wonder if using the 120 film in the 220 back can compromise the focus, the winding mechanisms or the safety of the film itself do to the possibility of scratching under excessive pressure. I have experience some scratching from the spring loaded rollers (THE CHROME ONES) if the tiny rollers come off and the sharp edges of the spring loaded guides came in contact with the film.

Although the backing paper on 120 films is not all that thick, when wide angle lenses are used, the flange-focus distances can be very critical and a few millimeters off can cause focus problems. I also remember that years ago Kodak film that were Manufactured in Europe had thicker backing papers than the American versions and were know to foul up winding mechanisms- that was long ago- I am old.

I must admit that my Mamiya 67 camera have given me great un-interrupted service for over 30 years- the earlier models, the RBs. are built like brick outhouses and the RZs cane be a but more delicate but don't drop either model on your foot- RZ with a prism, a winder and a digital back weigh a ton. The only this that nearly disintegrated beyond repair were my backs- I must have abused the heck out of them.

In this case my safe advice would be to have separate backs for the different film types. It is a case of do what I say not do what I did! Brooks will relate to this modest philosophy.

Ed
Old 09-16-2011   #49
Alpaca

Ed, thanks for the wealth of info. Lots to think about!
-Mark
Old 09-24-2011   #50
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 1096
Editing OK?: No

Yes, congratulations on the purchase of a fine medium format camera. I have a RZ, but the quality of the lenses is the same. Very high quality of glass. As for film, that depends on the lighting you will work with. Personally, I like Ilford Delta 100, but have shot all different kinds. Recomend to choose several (Fuji Acros B&W, Ilford Delta, Kodak, Efke, etc). until tou find one that you really love. A photo friend says the film "should kiss the subjects".

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: