first timer with 4x5 - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013   #21
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1232477
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: first timer with 4x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by belch_queen View Post
Well, my artificial lighting class will be interesting. The whole course requires a 4x5 camera. I've never touched large format cameras before. I'm really excited to use one though. Thankfully John's friend has a 4x5 I can use for the semester. I just wanted to know anyone's experience using the 4x5 in the studio. Some tips or anything.
Sure !
Load your own holders ! Open shutter, level, frame, swing, tilt, shift, focus, adjust, refocus, raise (or drop) the lensboard, refocus, reshift, foreshorten, reframe, shoot polaroid, check lighting, have lunch, come back, study polaroid, critique, relevel, reframe, reshift, swing focus, etc. etc., and not necessarily in that order. Then close shutter, cock shutter, insert holder AND DON'T FORGET TO PULL THE DARKSLIDE !!! [as we all have done at one time or another, I'm sure].
Have fun and enjoy the process.
M.
Mark Feldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016   #22
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1758

Medium Format has been my limit. Although I'd like to try someday myself. I had a friend that as a pro shot for an OIl &Gas Journal locally. No studio work, just field. It takes more skill and money than I have. I wish you the best of luck Sorry I couldn't be of any help to you.
2 1/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016   #23
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684

Ah the incredible resurfacing Beginning Large Format thread.

Thought I would mention something that no one ever does, including myself. A view camera and a press camera are way different creatures even thought they use the same film. In fact a press camera is really a sheet film medium format camera. You use it pretty much the same way as you do medium format. Many pre-1960 or so photo books listed press cameras in the medium format section. Also press cameras are really flash cameras, flashbulbs or on camera strobes is what they were designed for.

A view camera is a different creature. In fact monorail cameras were at one time called optical bench cameras. The are pretty much useless with out a tripod and a lot of light. The allow all kinds of optical corrections and distortions. The are slow to work with, and heavy to haul around. And the loss off 4x5 sheet Polaroid, makes them kind of difficult to learn on, not impossible, mind you, but difficult.

Both are fun, but as I said, they are also very different beasts.

www.tomrit.com
tomrit is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: