How much discount?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 736
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default How much discount?

I finally decided to go for the medium format, although not sure if Phase one or Hasselblad. Very likely Phase one, but we will see.

Since I hate to pay what is on the price tag, I would be very interested what is your experience on getting discounts from the distributors of these two manufacturers and what is the range you managed to get.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Old 02-02-2011   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: How much discount?

I would be suprised if you received any discount.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

For high priced gear- I put it all on lease. For taxation- I can write off all lease payments and do not have to bother with depreciation percentages- it works out better at tax time. This, of course, can only be done if you use the equipment for business. At the end of the lease, I buy back the equipment and then give it a book value and depreciate it year by year.

On digital large format equipment, I have not found any special deals or discounts.

Ed
Old 02-03-2011   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 736
Editing OK?: Ask first

Thanks Ed. The trick really for me is that I dont buy it for business but only for myself. Thanks for the suggestions though. I love btw the leasing options you have in the US, they are much better then the European ones.
Old 03-01-2011   #5
KmH

CamelKarma:

Uh, Ed's profile indicates he is in Canada.
Old 03-01-2011   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

I am American and Canadian! I live in Canada. As far as leasing and many other financial, banking and taxation policies and regulations are concerned, both the U.S. and Canada have similar taxation laws but not in all cases.

With leasing, there is a tax advantage but even as a private citizen (not a business entity) leasing enables me to acquire equipment and pay it out pretty well the same as a bank loan. We are talking here about medium format digital gear and you would be looking for a loan similar in amounts to a loan for a recreational veicheal or a boat. Banks my give you a bit of a hard time because they probably can't see how a small item such as a digital back can collateralize itself the same as a car, a boat or piece of real estate which could be repossessed in the event of default and re-sold. If your credit is OK, there may be no problems. I have no knowledge of the European banking system and what their criteria is.

Good luck! Ed

Ottawa, Canada
Ed Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: