Shall I move or does not make much sense?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 736
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Shall I move or does not make much sense?

HI Guys,

I am very tempted to move in the medium format world with these new promotions they start to have and would need some advice. I am shooting a D700 now, 70-80% kids photography

Everywhere I am reading that the medium format has much better dynamic range and picture quality, but it is significantly slower to focus then the DSLR's.

If I sell all my lenses with the Nikon and add some additional, I could buy the entry level of Hasselblad or Phase one with one lens. Where I need your advise is if the medium formats are really that much slower to focus with and will I loose lots of flexibility for better picture quality.

Was trying to look for renting one camera for a day to try, but in Paris that is a robbery, they charge 500Euro a day for it.

Thx

Old 01-27-2011   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2341
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Shall I move or does not make much sense?

Hi,

You should be able to get a demo of the system you want to try out.
By demo i mean that someone should be at your side, answering your questions, while you can test the equipment in your usual shooting situation.
you can then later compare the images from the different systems to find the one which fits your expectations.

be prepared to beef up your computer system too.

i went that way in november 2010.
from a nikon D700 with all decent glass, i choose a mamiya Dm22 with only the 75-150mm sekor lens. still learning to master the beast

i choose the mamiya solution because of price and because i wanted the digital back to be used on the mamiya rz67 pro II i have.

by all means you must try for yourself if the MF fits your shooting style.
Elinchrom Style RX 600 / Ranger AS Speed, Quadra AS, BX500ri
and has a lot of fun
nyschulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #3
Alpaca

Thanks Nicolas for the answer on this. I will find a way to try them, but in your experience, is the focusing significantly slower then the Nikon?

Thx
CsabaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 222

Hi,

I made the switch from Canon to an old Hasselblad. First I shoot with film and now with a Kodak Pro digital back and I'm looking for a Leaf Aptus 2 back.
First it was difficult, because as I understood when I was shooting film and MF, I had become a very lazy photographer with my Canons. Just shoot "away" and pick a nice frame later. But now I have to think more and do a lot more about directing a shoot. Yes the Autofocus is slower, but with a bit of practice it should not be a problem. A shoot children in my studio and its fine and I even did some headshots with the 120mm macro (then you have to direct for sure because the autofocus on that one is slow!).

For now (I work several months with the Hasselblad), MF is diffirent. If you have a reportage style in shooting and want the high iso's, well medium format is imo not suitable (although there are workarounds...). But if you take time and preparation in shooting portraits, it is stunning and cannot be compared to my Canon (and I used the L-lenses).

Hope I gave you some backgroundinformation you can use in your descision.

Regards,

Arend
Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #5
Alpaca

I could finally try yesterday both the Hasselblad and the PhaseOne. Tried the 80mm and the 110mm lens. They were not slow at all, I would risk to say that they were even very close to the D700.

So finally I decided to buy one, the classical question is which one will it be. Since I don't want to spend that much for the 40MP sensor, the decision will be between PhaseOne P30+ or the Hasselblad H4D-31.

I like the TrueFocus option on the Hasselblad, but from the other side the PhaseOne seamed a bit more user friendly and the battery power as I was told is longer since it has separate ones for the body and for the back. The other thing is that the phase one can go up to 1/4000 of a sec, while the hasselblad to 1/800 only, although I am not sure if this would bring any limitation.

If you have any experience and you could share that, I would appreciate it.

Thx

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: