Anyone doing hybrid 4x5 & digital? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011   #21
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Anyone doing hybrid 4x5 & digital?

OK, what do you need to do with those scans?

30x40 and larger prints?
Web images?

I find that my old flat bed scanner with the 4x5 transparency adapter does well up to the limits of my printer, which is 13x19 although I only do 11x14's with some crop. Scanning seems to be an art that takes lots of practice and knowledge to do right. I kind of think that if someone gave me a top of the line drum scanner, my scans would not be any better.

My choice is to do B&W with film, and color with digital. To me that is the best of both worlds.
Old 05-07-2012   #22
Dromedary

Since I now have a 4x5 monorail as well as the Crown Graphic, I thought it would be nice to bring this old thread of my up to the top.

As I mentioned before, I deal with 4x5 by shooting film, processing it in the bathroom and scanning it on an old Epson 2400 with the optional 4x5 film adapter. It will be interesting to see how well I deal with the Toyo 45G, as I think of going out an about with it, it seems to be more and more inconvenient. Of course I can use it for product shots here in the apartment and use the Crown Graphic out and about (I think the Graphic is my most fun camera, especially as I shoot with flashbulbs.).

One of the things about what I do, is that I do not have much money, living off of Social Security only, so it is also interesting to figure out inexpensive ways to have photographic fun. To give an idea, I put together the scanner and film attachment for only $75. And, at the minute I have less than $250 into the Toyo.

Medium format wise I am shooting 6x6 folding cameras, I just came up with another on Saturday for $25, as I have a 6x6 enlarger that was given to me. I know guys that spend twenty grand a year on photography. Me? More like a couple of hundred bucks.
Old 05-08-2012   #23
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Tom,

When I was transitioning from film to digital I would shoot color scenes on the digital camera and BW scenes on 4x5 film when my wife and I were on vacation. All my commercial work went right to digital capture as none of my clients wanted to deal with film.

So I would shoot landscapes with 4x5 BW film using either a Sinar F2 or Zone VI view camera and I would make my own silver gelatin prints in my darkroom. After a while I stopped making silver prints and began scanning the BW film on my scanner, also an Epson 2400. Those digital prints from scans were OK but they didn't have that wonderful tonality of a real silver print.

Today I find that it's too difficult to get large format film through the TSA at airports so I shoot everything digitally now, both BW and color. And I find that the digitally captured scenes produce digital prints that are sharper and better in both BW and color than any analog silver prints or digital prints from film scans, up to a size of 20"x24".

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #24
Dromedary

I would agree a digitally printed B&W photo does not have the look of a silver print, much less a platinum print, but they are much better than they were a few years back. Also, you need to scan to show film shots on the web.

Commercially, unless you are in a niche market of some kind, digital is the only way to fly. As a hobbyist, these days, I get to do what I want if I can afford it. Mostly, that means 6x6 shots with the folding cameras. But, I wanted the movements of a real viewcamera for a long long time, and puttering around in the bathroom darkroom is fun; except for having to keep the bathroom so clean. and having to spend the time setting up an tearing down for each session. That tweren't so hard back in the days before the a-fib set in again.

Digital is also best if you just want to make pictures, but if you want to be involved in a craft, it sucks. Of course some people including myself live in front of a computer screen, and some of them think that drag and drop is skilled work.

The thing about film today, is that it is strictly for fun, not like when I first started doing darkroom work as a kid because the drug store did not even develop the experimental shots I tried, digital eliminates that kind of problem. Shooting film is sort of like oil painting, or water colors now, it would be easier to shoot it with your celphone, but not as much fun, and certainly not the same feeling of accomplishment.
Old 05-09-2012   #25
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2193768

Quote:
Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
The RB 150SF has an image circle large enough to cover 4x5 with room to spare, the flange to focal length of ~78mm is ideal as every lens from the 50 to the 360 will focus at infinity with this measurement (hint, hint...).

I have some instructions on making a practical (usable to cock and fire, as well as mount) lensboard for the RB here should you need them: Rb lensboard info page

Thanks again for your write up on this. Thanks to my brother who loves to tinker in his well equipped wood and metal shops, I now have a 4x5 modified to take RB lenses. We went with a solid hardwood spacer rather than foam tape, carefully grooved to accept the shape of the junk RB front plate. The result is solid, fairly light weight, and light tight. Thankfully the 4x5 came with an optional bag bellows, the focus would be too close with a standard bellows (maybe we did something wrong, but it's going to work).

I hope to get a chance to use it soon, waiting for a polaroid back to start off with.
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #26
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 352140
Editing OK?: No

Yes I use 4x5 film.
I scan it myself or print it the old fashioned way.

A frame of 4x5 film is the same as 180 MP digital.

Now I don't know about you all, but I am not about to mount some 12-18 MP DSLR to the back of what would be a 180 MP camera.

Also I slightly resent the comments about press cameras not having much in the way of movements. My Pacemaker Speed Graphic has quite a few, you just have to know how to use it properly.

I am not ready to shell out 40 grand for a scanner back... I think I will stick with film for now.
Old 06-06-2012   #27
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19298

Wow, 40 grand for a scan back, seriously My Dicomed was $750, I've seen them under $1k regularly. A used Phase One or Betterlight should come in well under 3.5K.
epatsellis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012   #28
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 352140
Editing OK?: No

Who wants a cheap one?
Old 06-09-2012   #29
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19298

There's little to no difference, in most work. The only place the newer backs excel is in terms of needing less light, but that never limited me to using mine either in the studio or out in the field.
epatsellis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013   #30
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2193768

Finally posting pictures. With the bag bellows it works great with the RB lenses, I've tried: 90, 150SF, 180, 250. No idea if it will focus at infinity as the plan all along was portraits, and it works fine at these distances. Here's the front standard finished and my first "keeper", used the 150SF w. 5.6 disc, AdMagic Fresnel, HP5.

Many thanks to epatsellis!

File Type: jpg NadiaSMFilm.jpg (31.1 KB, 46 views)
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: