Shooting weddings with Leica S2???
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
 

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011   #1
Dromedary
 
haring's Avatar
 
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,029
CamelKarma: 186457
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Shooting weddings with Leica S2???

Do you know anybody who shoots weddings with a Leica S2? I would be interested to see how MF Leica copes with weddings...

__________________
Members don't see ads in threads. Register for your free account today and become a member of PhotoCamel to open up the site's many benefits and features.
__________________
Miami Wedding Photographers
haring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #2
Vicuna
 
Location: U.K
Posts: 123
CamelKarma: 304
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Shooting weddings with Leica S2???

I don't even know anyone who can afford one.
Ben Myerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #3
Dromedary
 
haring's Avatar
 
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,029
CamelKarma: 186457
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Shooting weddings with Leica S2???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Myerson View Post
I don't even know anyone who can afford one.
Me neither...! That's why asking around...
__________________
Miami Wedding Photographers
haring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #4
Photocamel Master
 
Ed Shapiro's Avatar
 
Location: Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Posts: 6,718
CamelKarma: 5188665
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Shooting weddings with Lica S2???

I shot weddings with a Lica many decades ago. I was working in New York City. The so called "society crowed" had their so called "society weddings" that were more like corporate mergers. It was not "cool" to pose for the photographer. The tradition was that the photographer would come to the bridal shop for the bride's final fitting, make a formal portrait for publication in the (you guessed it) the society pages of the New York Times and at the ceremony and the reception, 90% of the coverage was strictly candid except for a few quick bride and groom formals and some family groups.

At the time there was no digital photography but my Lica M-3s and 3 lenses were great for what is now called PJ wedding photography. My weapons of choice were 3 bodies equipped with a 35mm, 50mm and 90mm lenses. Later on an f/1. Noctolux lens for dim light. I had a very weak strobe for a bit more shadow detail and my film was Tri-X processed in D-76.

The rangefinder was great and the entire kit fit into a rather small case. On 'normal" weddings in those days to tool of choice was the 4x5 press camera. The film holders weighed more that the entire Lica outfit.

There is no reason why the latest Lica digital would not work for a great PJ rendition of a wedding. If you are willing to spend lots of money for a fine camera you will not be disappointed.

Ed+
__________________
Ed Shapiro - Master Photographer
Ottawa, Canada
Ed Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #5
Dromedary
 
haring's Avatar
 
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,029
CamelKarma: 186457
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Shooting weddings with Lica S2???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Shapiro View Post
I shot weddings with a Lica many decades ago. I was working in New York City. The so called "society crowed" had their so called "society weddings" that were more like corporate mergers. It was not "cool" to pose for the photographer. The tradition was that the photographer would come to the bridal shop for the bride's final fitting, make a formal portrait for publication in the (you guessed it) the society pages of the New York Times and at the ceremony and the reception, 90% of the coverage was strictly candid except for a few quick bride and groom formals and some family groups.

At the time there was no digital photography but my Lica M-3s and 3 lenses were great for what is now called PJ wedding photography. My weapons of choice were 3 bodies equipped with a 35mm, 50mm and 90mm lenses. Later on an f/1. Noctolux lens for dim light. I had a very weak strobe for a bit more shadow detail and my film was Tri-X processed in D-76.

The rangefinder was great and the entire kit fit into a rather small case. On 'normal" weddings in those days to tool of choice was the 4x5 press camera. The film holders weighed more that the entire Lica outfit.

There is no reason why the latest Lica digital would not work for a great PJ rendition of a wedding. If you are willing to spend lots of money for a fine camera you will not be disappointed.

Ed+
Thanks Ed!
What's going on with "society weddings" nowadays...?
__________________
Miami Wedding Photographers
haring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #6
Photocamel Master
 
Ed Shapiro's Avatar
 
Location: Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Posts: 6,718
CamelKarma: 5188665
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Shooting weddings with Leica S2???

Well- it has been a long time since my New York experience. I am grateful that I was born there "educated" there and got allot of photographic training in that city but when I came home from the army the scene there was not to my liking, as a vet, so I left the city. In the New York social scene there was more of a palpable class system and many so called "society studios" were getting all the "carriage trade" weddings were not necessarily doing the best work, artistically speaking, but the studio owners were well connected. Some of the photographers would not even go as far as "opening up a group" on the dance floor and even of you had the back of Senator So and So's head in the shot- everybody knew knew he was there. One good thing- these folks know how to carry themselves and kinda pose so I found there was a way I could gesture to them politely or just say "excuse me, the couple would like to have a photograph of your group", they tended to smile and follow my directions.

Personally speaking, give me a wild and woolly ethnic wedding with lots of action and people who prefer a more romantic interpretation of their wedding day and I am a happy camper working in my element.

As a freelancer, in those days I sought out theses studios because they paid well. Oftentimes somewhat mediocre photographers were hired because the were very polite, well dressed and personable. One such studio was willing to hire me on because the owner liked my work but not my Brooklyn accent. He was willing to send me for elocution lesions- an announcing school in the mid-west where they teach people to have a non-regional accent. I gave him my "false" announcer voice- I passed and the good part is that I worked weddings almost every day of the week. Society jobs were durring the week and so were Ultra Orthodox Jewish weddings- I had connections to studios in both markets.

My town nowadays is the Canada's capital and a high tech city so there are society folks- most of the weddings are rather conservative and the photography scene is pretty much the same except nowadays strictly candid wedding coverage is more of the norm rather than the exception.

The basic philosophy to understand about "high society weddings" is that many people in the public eye whether the are captons of industry, movies stars, entertainers. politicians and community leaders sometimes become "overly-photographed". They walk out of their homes in the morning and the paparazzi is waiting in their driveway, the go to a news conference and there are cameras everywhere. They need pictures for publicity and the are dragged off to a studio. When the have family events where they long for privacy, oftentimes the photographer is looked upon as a necessary evil so they want their photographer to really be a fly on the wall rather that a participant or a director. Another thing to realize is that some "rick folks" have accumulated their vast fortunes by not spending their money on things that the feel are frivolous. I would do some of theses assignments and feel bad because I felt I was getting paid for NOT doing a complete job including some elegant formals but many times, after my coverage was over, I would go over to the hosts to say goodbye and thank them for having me and the would greet me with a big smile and in those days a big tip (not being the boss and all) and the highest compliment I would get is "WOW- I know you did a wonderful job and we didn't even know you were here"! Yup- all 250 pounds in a black tux and I manged to make myself invisible- especially with those little Licas.

Ed
__________________
Ed Shapiro - Master Photographer
Ottawa, Canada
Ed Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #7
Dromedary
 
haring's Avatar
 
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,029
CamelKarma: 186457
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Shooting weddings with Leica S2???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Shapiro View Post
Well- it has been a long time since my New York experience. I am grateful that I was born there "educated" there and got allot of photographic training in that city but when I came home from the army the scene there was not to my liking, as a vet, so I left the city. In the New York social scene there was more of a palpable class system and many so called "society studios" were getting all the "carriage trade" weddings were not necessarily doing the best work, artistically speaking, but the studio owners were well connected. Some of the photographers would not even go as far as "opening up a group" on the dance floor and even of you had the back of Senator So and So's head in the shot- everybody knew knew he was there. One good thing- these folks know how to carry themselves and kinda pose so I found there was a way I could gesture to them politely or just say "excuse me, the couple would like to have a photograph of your group", they tended to smile and follow my directions.

Personally speaking, give me a wild and woolly ethnic wedding with lots of action and people who prefer a more romantic interpretation of their wedding day and I am a happy camper working in my element.

As a freelancer, in those days I sought out theses studios because they paid well. Oftentimes somewhat mediocre photographers were hired because the were very polite, well dressed and personable. One such studio was willing to hire me on because the owner liked my work but not my Brooklyn accent. He was willing to send me for elocution lesions- an announcing school in the mid-west where they teach people to have a non-regional accent. I gave him my "false" announcer voice- I passed and the good part is that I worked weddings almost every day of the week. Society jobs were durring the week and so were Ultra Orthodox Jewish weddings- I had connections to studios in both markets.

My town nowadays is the Canada's capital and a high tech city so there are society folks- most of the weddings are rather conservative and the photography scene is pretty much the same except nowadays strictly candid wedding coverage is more of the norm rather than the exception.

The basic philosophy to understand about "high society weddings" is that many people in the public eye whether the are captons of industry, movies stars, entertainers. politicians and community leaders sometimes become "overly-photographed". They walk out of their homes in the morning and the paparazzi is waiting in their driveway, the go to a news conference and there are cameras everywhere. They need pictures for publicity and the are dragged off to a studio. When the have family events where they long for privacy, oftentimes the photographer is looked upon as a necessary evil so they want their photographer to really be a fly on the wall rather that a participant or a director. Another thing to realize is that some "rick folks" have accumulated their vast fortunes by not spending their money on things that the feel are frivolous. I would do some of theses assignments and feel bad because I felt I was getting paid for NOT doing a complete job including some elegant formals but many times, after my coverage was over, I would go over to the hosts to say goodbye and thank them for having me and the would greet me with a big smile and in those days a big tip (not being the boss and all) and the highest compliment I would get is "WOW- I know you did a wonderful job and we didn't even know you were here"! Yup- all 250 pounds in a black tux and I manged to make myself invisible- especially with those little Licas.

Ed
Ed! Thank you very much for your input! Please giver me a call whenever you are in the Miami area. I will take you around!
__________________
Miami Wedding Photographers
haring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #8
Vicuna
 
2 1/4's Avatar
 
Location: Desolation Row
Posts: 105
CamelKarma: 1758
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Shooting weddings with Leica S2???

I'm no longer is the business myself, but I have shot weddings in the past using a M5 and a M3. Leica's are very versatile cameras.
2 1/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #9
Vicuna
 
Location: U.K
Posts: 123
CamelKarma: 304
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Shooting weddings with Leica S2???

I don't think some of the people who replied to the original posters question know what a Leica S2 is and are under the misapprehension that it's a 35mm film camera, and that it costs body only $23,000 Leica S2 with 56% larger sensor than full frame: Digital Photography Review which is why I wrote I don't know anyone who could afford one.
Ben Myerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #10
Vicuna
 
2 1/4's Avatar
 
Location: Desolation Row
Posts: 105
CamelKarma: 1758
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Shooting weddings with Leica S2???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Myerson View Post
I don't think some of the people who replied to the original posters question know what a Leica S2 is and are under the misapprehension that it's a 35mm film camera, and that it costs body only $23,000 Leica S2 with 56% larger sensor than full frame: Digital Photography Review which is why I wrote I don't know anyone who could afford one.
I must need glasses...you are indeed correct. I misread Mr. Haring's post...sorry.


__________________
Members don't see ads in threads. Register for your free account today and become a member of PhotoCamel to open up the site's many benefits and features.
2 1/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »


Share this topic:

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon D3 - what is your favorite AF setting when shooting people, weddings? haring Nikon 6 12-27-2010 03:50 PM
Why KellyL thinks he should quit shooting weddings. KellyL Weddings 38 11-07-2010 01:00 AM
Shooting a camera while shooting a gun. 12step Photography Talk 21 08-01-2010 08:47 PM
Leica S2 moizes Other Cameras and Lenses 2 09-22-2008 10:12 PM