Who says black & white is dead . . . ?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1259
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Who says black & white is dead . . . ?

PhaseOne has just brought out . . . drrrum rrrolll . . .

The Achromatic+ – a 39 megapixel medium format digital camera back that provides wide spectrum black and white images. With it the photographic opportunities are virtually endless.

This development resulted from the growing demise of traditional photographic film has even affected the scientific community, with many specialty scientific films are no longer available or are becoming increasingly difficult to acquire (sound familiar, film users?).

Infrared and other scientific films sensitive to specific nanometer ranges in both the visible and invisible spectrums were affected severely. And dealing with the chemical processes that film requires was becoming increasingly difficult in the workplace.

Jim Taskett and Karla Johnson of Bear Images Photographic Inc., in San Francisco put together a research consortium including both US Government and private companies and not-for -profits, focused on finding a digital capture solution to replace scientific film and traditional processes.

The result is the Achromatic. See the announcement here: New opportunities with black & white photography and click the More Info button for a full run down and some other links.
I’d love a back dedicated to B&W but don’t think I’ll be indulging anytime soon.

I’d have to sell and awful lot of calendars to cover that one . . . Have to keep buying those lottery tickets.

"In a world of magnets and miracles"

GearList / flickr (larger sizes) / MyBlog / MyZenfolio / MyRedBubble /
LightArt
Analog6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 5692
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Who says black & white is dead . . . ?

Looks nice...but won't truly be a "breakthrough" until it's affordable....most folks still cannot afford a camera accessory that costs more than a small automobile...
[Mamiya RB67][50mm f/4.5][90mm f/3.8][140mm f/4.5 Macro][Ext. Tube #2][150mm SF-C f/4][250mm f/4.5]
[Minolta X-700][16mm f/2.8 Fisheye][50mm f/1.4]

flickr
Vedauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 341

oh i dunno... i drive a $1000 honda, rusty as hell, just because i spend all my money on photogear

This back is a unique item in a very limited market, so suspect it wond exactly be flying off the shelves. Prob more a rental item.
Old 09-10-2010   #4
Guanaco

No, it's not going to be your everyday accessory! I imagine there is a market in the scientific community, PhaseOne would hardly spend all that money developing it if there wasn't, but only the richest photographers could afford a special mono back.

I too do without stuff to fund photo gear. Be nice though . . .

LightArt
Old 09-14-2010   #5
Llama

Yeah if Phase One wants to sponsor me with one of these backs i'd gladly accept

For now i'm happy with either turning my P25 black & white in Capture one or just load up the old mag with some proper B&W film
Old 09-15-2010   #6
Guanaco

Yes, I'm watching out for a film back on eBay for my H2, it could come in useful.

LightArt
Old 09-15-2010   #7
Llama

Yupp. and im looking out for a 8x10 camera So much for digital :P

Tools: Mamiya 645AFD w. Phase One P25, Canon EOS 5d mk II, Horseman LE 4x5, Mamiya RZ-67, Holga 120N, Polaroid 635CL, Brownie No.2, Pinhole cameras.
HuBBaTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: