Get a digital back for my Hassy or Jump ship to the Mamiya digital family?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Get a digital back for my Hassy or Jump ship to the Mamiya digital family?

I have Hassy 500 C and C/M's and a bunch of lenses. I want to shoot medium format digital.

I have Nikon 35mm Film system, but ended up going to Canon when I made the switch to digital. Nikon, just couldn't cut it when I made my choice. They have much better cameras available now, but my old lenses wouldn't have been efficient to use anyway.

So the question is, is there a digital back for the 500CM that is efficient and good or would I be better off buying the $10K Mamiya 33 megapixel camera and lens and going from there. I have tried so Phase one and leaf backs, but they were very touchy and slow. Maybe there are improvements in all departments now.

I started with Mamiya C330 and then went to Hassy's and also a RB67 for studio work, but just found the Hassy's were much easier and quicker to work and the image quality was outstanding. Got good results from the Mamiya too, but not enough to make me want to put up with the weight and double cocking. I still use the C330 to shoot fireworks.

I like leaf shutters and flash sync at all speeds, which I miss with these 35mm DSLR's.

Old 08-14-2010   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684
Default Re: Get a digital back for my Hassy or Jump ship to the Mamiya digital family?

No answers? Well, maybe this will help:

Hasselblad unveils CFV-39 digital back: Digital Photography Review

39mp & $17K makes your C500 work again.

googling "hasselblad v digital back" will bring up some others as well.

I have no experience with any of them.
Old 08-14-2010   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888
Default Re: Get a digital back for my Hassy or Jump ship to the Mamiya digital family?

Thanks for trying Tom..

I find I don't want to spend quite that much on a computer that takes pictures. Too short of a lifespan. I am better off going with some of the $10K options, even if that means going to Mamiya. I will probably only own 1 or 2 lenses and rent the rest, necessary.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: