RZ67 Pro II or <forward to the past>
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2341
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default RZ67 Pro II or <forward to the past>

I have been thinking for a while to investigate medium format.

Last month i finaly made up my mind and went for a used Mamiya Rz67 Pro II

i was really impressed from the sheer physical dimensions:

It took me some time go get used to the machine.
Then i was blown by the resulting 6x7 diapo's

a first result, scanned by an Epson V700, reduzed for web viewing:

the original was scanned with 3200 dpi, resulting in a 8739x6730 image

a 100% crop:

and for general impression the full file(35MB)

i hve a lot to learn about the different choices for film material, the tests are ongoing.

I do get very positif feed-back from people i work with.
So except for the turn-around time of 8+ days until i get the film back from lab everything started out very nice.

who plays Mamiya DM22 on Mamiya 645DF, 75-150/4.5, 80/2.8 FS,
Nikon D700 , 24-70/2.8 70-200/2.8VR 105/2.8Micro, 50/1.4D , 85/1.4
Elinchrom Style RX 600 / Ranger AS Speed, Quadra AS, BX500ri
and has a lot of fun
nyschulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665
Default Re: RZ67 Pro II or <forward to the past>

Nicolas- You have selected a camera that over the years has become the workhorse of the studio industry here in North America for decades. As long as film is available you can enjoy your camera for many years but the good news is that if you want to digitize it, there are specialized backs that can be used on the camera. Theses backs are expensive but the image quality will be suburb. For many yeas those 6x7 transparencies were standard requirements for magazine covers and advertising. The scan beautifully for top lithographic results.

The Sekor lenses are great. There is a Soft Focus 150mm lens that is one on very favorites for portraiture and a 75mm shift lens for architecture that works very well.

Oh- and don't drop that camera on your foot- it is a big boy!

Ed
Old 07-26-2010   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2341

Thank you Ed.

I do like the example you posted for that soft-focus lens and am looking to find one but until now i had no luck yet.

My mid-term goal is to get a leaf aptus back for the RZ67.
But before commiting that amount of money, i wanted to be sure first that i could handle the mamiya properly.

After all im am not used to work on tripod and using zoom lenses is such a convenience.

The only lens now on the RZ is the 110mm/2.8 by recommendaton of Frank Doorhof...
Elinchrom Style RX 600 / Ranger AS Speed, Quadra AS, BX500ri
and has a lot of fun
nyschulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 15390
Editing OK?: Ask first

Last year I also picked up a rz67 Pro. I too wanted to try my hand at mf. That 110 2.8 you have is the smallest of the rz lens but also the fastest lens made for the rz. Nice.....

I have a few lens but the funkiest one I scored is the hard to find 37mm(fisheye)

Enjoy your new toy.
Shawn
Old 08-02-2010   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 341

congratulations to your RZ. It's a lovely camera. To shoot with a digital back you will need to upgrade the body to a Pro IID variant and put an adapter on it which will run the 645AFD backs. It can run without it but you will have to do a double action exposure which is a bit of a drag.
Old 09-15-2010   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 451

Have you given any thought to developing and scanning your film?

You may have heard that developing E-6 is too hard to do at home but if you'll read the instruction sheets provided for the developer you'll see that times and temperatures can be changed and the slower you go the less critical the temperatures become. (less not non-) This applies to C-41 as well.

A decent flatbed scanner and your turnaround time goes to the next evening.

Here's the link.. Photography Darkroom Supply List - Teacher's Lounge - Freestyle Photographic Supplies

No, I don't work for Freestyle. I couldn't afford it.

mike
Mike_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 341

Hmmmm.. good point regarding the time. I have a C-41 kit that i havent used yet simply because i havent got a reliable way to keep temperatures high enough, but i could do it slower instead at a lower temperature.
Old 09-15-2010   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139
Editing OK?: Yes

Congratulations on the RZ. You now own the camera desired by a multitude of 1980's freshmen photography students. Our college had RB67s and by time students were allowed to get their paws on them they'd paid plenty of dues. The RBs were a huge step forward from the standard K1000's most were sporting. The RZ became the lofty goal of many and the prize of some successful pros. By the by, Throw that big boy on a stroboframe and slap a lumedyne flash kit on it and get a feel for what a "real" wedding photographer of the day was like.

Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: