How do i clean my medium format camera???
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default How do i clean my medium format camera???

I recently found an Imperial Reflex 620 camera at a little antique shop. its pretty dingy and dirty. im not sure if it will look cool on film or not. how would i go about cleaning a camera like this?

Old 07-21-2010   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 788
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: How do i clean my medium format camera???

If you are handy with a screwdriver you can take it apart and clean it gently with a damp cloth. There isn't much to these reflex cameras, so it should be easy to disassemble. I wouldn't use anything besides water to clean it though. I think those are made of bakelite so be careful cleaning it. Chemicals may react to the bakelite and make it brittle. Good luck and have fun using it.

Bob
Latinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665
Editing OK?: Ask First

Well Sir- It looks like you have a very interesting and historical camera. At one time it was the official camera of the Boy Scouts of America.

It seems that the infamous photograph of Lee Harvey Oswald (the assassin that murdered J.F.K.) with his weapon in hand was made with this very model of camera. One of the photographs below show it in an FBI evidence exhibit. WOW!

The specs on it mention that it is plastic but I don't know if it is Bakelite. When cleaning it, avoid any kind of solvent, alcohol or any cleaner or thinner counting ketone type solvents. Sometimes cleaners like Varsol (Benzine), or Naphthalene (white gas) can clean plastics without out harm- test first.

A very mild dish detergent such as DAWN will remove dirt without attacking the plastic. Q-tips and cotton balls are good applicators. If it is Bakelite, you can use the same method. For the lens and viewfinder use lens cleaner and lens tissue.

Before cleaning, apply the solution to an inconspicuous part of the camera to make sure the cleaning agent is compatible with the type of plastic.

My daughter deals in period costume jewelry- seems Bakelite was used in may broaches, earrings and rings in the 1930s,40s, and 50s- she cleans theses things as I have explained.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iMPERIAL REFLEX 1.jpg (76.9 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg imperial reflex 2.jpg (65.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Imperial Reflex 3.jpg (13.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Imperial reflex 4.jpg (9.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Imperial Reflex 5.jpg (72.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Imperial eflex 7.jpg (44.8 KB, 83 views)
Old 08-22-2010   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1259
Editing OK?: Ask first

Love to see a pic of your purchase

"In a world of magnets and miracles"

GearList / flickr (larger sizes) / MyBlog / MyZenfolio / MyRedBubble /
LightArt
Analog6 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic:

Tags
cleaning, duo lens, imperial reflex 620, medium format