4x5 Slide Film suggestions
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 174
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 4x5 Slide Film suggestions

I may be coming into a Graflex 4x5 soon and would like to shoot slides on it. Any suggestions as to what type of film y'all like. Please post some samples if you will.

Thanks

"It is very hard to say where you're going until you get there. That kind of thing is based very much on instinct. As a photographer, one of the most important lessons I have learnt is that you have to learn to listen to and trust your own instinct." - James Nachtwey

"The digital camera is a great invention because it allows us to reminisce. Instantly." - Demetri Martin
LaserSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1385
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: 4x5 Slide Film suggestions

I have been making photographs for well over 50 years, in that time I never heard of a 4x5 slide. they did not make 4x5 slide mounts nor did any one to my knowledge ever make a projector for graflex slides. We made 4x5 Transparancies, 5x7 and up to 11x14. But I never heard of any one
making slides with them. I hear the term slides mentioned but how to do it with large format may be difficult. Look for 4x5 Transparancy film. 35mm slides and 6x6 slides were often made with transparancy films. The transparancy was used for practically all photographic reproduction processes, used in the printing business. Call them "slides" if you want, however their real name
is transparancies or Positives. They are used in the color reproduction business because they are first generations. Color negatives themselves is their 1st generation, prints made from the negative
are second generation. Better final images are are the ones from the fewest generations.

Any way, call them what ever fits you, it truly is not important, jus have fun!
C Webb
C Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 174

Positive transparancies is what I meant. I've never shot LF transparancies and am wondering if someone can recommend a specific brand/speed ect.

"It is very hard to say where you're going until you get there. That kind of thing is based very much on instinct. As a photographer, one of the most important lessons I have learnt is that you have to learn to listen to and trust your own instinct." - James Nachtwey

"The digital camera is a great invention because it allows us to reminisce. Instantly." - Demetri Martin
LaserSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 639
Editing OK?: Yes

What films do you already use and love? That often makes a good starting point.

Smugmug - http://xxloverxx.smugmug.com
xxloverxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 15

I like Fuji Provia 100F. Seems to have good exposure latitude. And the colors are truer to nature. I am sure there is still some Fuji Velvia around. I haven't used Kodak E6 films so I can't comment on those.
SensorDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 226
Editing OK?: Ask first

I personally like Kodak E100 & Velvia.
Old 08-14-2010   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684

These days it may be more what you can find, than what you would like. Looks like about $20 to $26 for 10 sheets, mostly 100 speed stuff. Personally, I do not see the use of 4x5 trannies these days. Negatives scan better, and prints are cheaper. In the old days the prepress people wanted trannies, now they want digital images.

I guess 4x5 transparencies will impress your friends...
Old 08-24-2010   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: No

if you have a 5 x 4 (oops 4 x 5!) scanner you could try the Tri-Chromie process. look for details here:
Google Translate

Google translates from the french

Have fun with your new Graflex

nn

nn
numnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 5692

Velvia and E100S.....the Tungsten balanced Ektachrome is awesome as well....Also check out some AGFA Scala, if they still make it.....it's a superb b&w transparency film...
[Mamiya RB67][50mm f/4.5][90mm f/3.8][140mm f/4.5 Macro][Ext. Tube #2][150mm SF-C f/4][250mm f/4.5]
[Minolta X-700][16mm f/2.8 Fisheye][50mm f/1.4]

flickr
Vedauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1044

Provia and Velvia can still be found. I like Velvia for its color saturation and Provia for more true to life colors.
You think 4X5 is hard to find you should try to find 8X10. Its close to $8.00 a sheet and the $6.00 a sheet to have it developed. But 8X10 chromes are just so cool to hold in your hands.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: