Pentax releases the 645D!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 108
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Pentax releases the 645D!

Pentax unveils 40MP 645D medium format DSLR: Digital Photography Review

It is finally a reality. I'm excited to see some hands on reviews and to find out what the final street price will be.

inTempus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 22
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Pentax releases the 645D!

Wow no comments? The Street price Btw is approx $9400.00 based on Yen>USD. Smokes the competition where the similar Hassy and Mamiya 40MP units are $20,000.00
Peter Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 108

I'm pretty excited about it. I hope it makes it to the US soon and I can read some reviews. It certainly promises to be a game changer. If this thing is successful, it might cause a price war and spawn new competition... which means we as photographer win big time. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Old 03-11-2010   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Post your review on PhotoCamel so we can all dream....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19459

This is great news! Thanks for posting this.
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 22
Editing OK?: Ask first

I posted my thoughts on it here
Along with the standard Pentax official announcement. There are also some interesting photos of it here. Along with a lens I can only assume is an ultra wide. It looks like it has a drop in filter drawer with a lock unlock knob and a filter rotation dial (for CPL?) .

Assuming the price is $9400.00 MSRP, then you'd expect the street price to be around $8999.00 maybe lower? If so, it could possibly compete with the top end FF's from other brands for those that shoot landscape, portrait, outdoor stuff.
Peter Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 96012

I am no pro but if this gets to $6500 and under price I am going to take the plunge.
Old 03-12-2010   #8
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 236397
Editing OK?: Yes

This is great news.They needed to do this.A friend had two 645N bodies and most of the lens line-up.Got tired of waiting and sold it all for a Mamiya 645AFDll because of its digital back acceptance.That said,it looks like they did their homework on this camera.I will watch price closely and may "take the plunge."
Old 03-12-2010   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 21

Pentax camera's never appealed to me but this one is a great possibility.

Finally a camera manufacturer is more concerned about HDR and image quality than high ISO performance. This will be the ticket for those of us that need those features over low light capability. This will be great for landscape, fine art, portraits and print media.

I like their focus on building digital specific lenses for the new system. That's what drew me to the Olympus E-1 when I got into digital.
I would like to see an articulated screen though rather than a fixed one. After using a Hasselblad waist level view finder many years ago I just can't get use to trying to compose an image squinting with one eye through an eye level view finder.
pixelseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19459

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelseeker View Post
I would like to see an articulated screen though rather than a fixed one. After using a Hasselblad waist level view finder many years ago I just can't get use to trying to compose an image squinting with one eye through an eye level view finder.
Exactly. Many photographers feel the same way, and Pentax could capture this segment of the pro market.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: