I give up
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2063
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default I give up

How do I get really close up but all in focus? Is it my lens or the f-stop?

I don't want just what's in one plane of focus, I want the whole thing. I've got a 50mm 1:2.8 macro lens. Is it just cheap or what? I've gone up and down the f-stops and nothing seems to change the results.

Old 11-11-2009   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 3249515
Default Re: I give up

It's the nature of macro photography. Whe you get that close the depth of focus is very narrow. Try using f11 or f22. Even that is not enough sometimes, many people are doing "focus stacks" which is taking several shots from the same location each with a different focus point and then combining them for an all in focus photo.

COMMENTS, CRITIQUES ALWAYS WELCOME

IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE
verdesardog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 36490107

It's the F-stop - shot at F2.8 ? As commented above try F11 or higher.
Brian V.
LordV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #4
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 95123

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdesardog View Post
It's the nature of macro photography. Whe you get that close the depth of focus is very narrow. Try using f11 or f22. Even that is not enough sometimes, many people are doing "focus stacks" which is taking several shots from the same location each with a different focus point and then combining them for an all in focus photo.
Do you layer them as masks and erase (or peel away) the unfocused bits?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evensky/
capshook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1905

I haven't tried it but I have looked into focus stacks before - it's designed exactly for this issue.
Old 11-12-2009   #6
Guanaco

Layers/focus stacks. That's what I was going to start doing in desperation! Thanks everyone!
FeyMooncalled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeyMooncalled View Post
Layers/focus stacks. That's what I was going to start doing in desperation! Thanks everyone!
You still need to get away from f/2.8. That's shallow DOF for normal shots and just crazy for macros. Try f/11 to f/22 and you may still need to stack.
Old 11-17-2009   #8
Photocamel Muse

CamelKarma: 61445

I wouldn't go much over F16 or you are going to start getting soft focus from diffraction. Looking forward to seeing your experimentation with stacking. It's something I've always wanted to try and just never got around to myself.

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #9
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I wouldn't go much over F16 or you are going to start getting soft focus from diffraction. Looking forward to seeing your experimentation with stacking. It's something I've always wanted to try and just never got around to myself.
I don't know. Yesterday, I was messing around and cranked it all the way up to f-40 (I didn't know cameras went that high) and I got the pattern detail of the kilt reflected on the bagpipe silver and everything was crystal clear.

http://photocamel.com/forum/macro-cl...a-success.html

The tripod is my friend. I guess only a macro lens will let you take a long exposure in full sun and not end up with a totally white screen.
FeyMooncalled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #10
Gna
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlef View Post
I haven't tried it but I have looked into focus stacks before - it's designed exactly for this issue.
For focal stacking have a look at Helicon Focus!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up »

Share this topic: