Cordyceps - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009   #21
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 119
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Cordyceps

Maybe this is why my toes itch! Now I'm afraid to look!
tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #22
Llama

CamelKarma: 1152
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiya View Post
Maybe this is why my toes itch! Now I'm afraid to look!
You know while in the Philippine Islands, actually only a couple of weeks after having arrived there, I came down with a fungal infection and it had me worried too. As for toes itching, probably so there Bob, I think all of us have been there at one time or another. Glad to see that you made it over. At least there is something to snack on here, see...

Thanks Bob
Old 01-28-2009   #23
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 119
Editing OK?: Ask first

My daddy came back from the Philippines after WW2 with what he called "jungle rot". It took years to get rid of it, until newer meds came along. I seem to be immune, I've been marinating in swamp water for over 60 years now!
tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #24
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiya View Post
My daddy came back from the Philippines after WW2 with what he called "jungle rot". It took years to get rid of it, until newer meds came along. I seem to be immune, I've been marinating in swamp water for over 60 years now!
That could have something to do with it there Bob but if I had a swamp nearby, I probably would be too. Yeah, they called what I had jungle rot also but in about a week I got over it with all the creams and powders that the flight surgon prescribed. It is some pretty uncomfortable stuff to get for sure.
Old 01-28-2009   #25
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 3200
Editing OK?: Yes

OMG, those pictures are frightening!

If that thing was the size of a dog I'd scream like a school girl!
spystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #26
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by spystyle View Post
OMG, those pictures are frightening!

If that thing was the size of a dog I'd scream like a school girl!
I have seen worse infections of the fungi on things like grasshoppers. Ants, the fungi treats much milder though the end result is the same. Usually ants have only one fruiting body (the stroma) erupting from the back of thier head. I have tons of infected ant carpaces around here hanging off of twigs. Cordyceps can wipe out entire colonies of ants, some people have used cordyceps as a biological control agent in their homes for ants, especially Carpenter Ants. I have yet to find an infected spider or butterfly though, infected caterpillars can be quite common but they are usually at the base of the fungi where it grows on the ground in some cordyceps species.

Thanks spystyle
Old 01-31-2009   #27
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1349815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ramos View Post
You know while in the Philippine Islands, actually only a couple of weeks after having arrived there, I came down with a fungal infection and it had me worried too. As for toes itching, probably so there Bob, I think all of us have been there at one time or another. Glad to see that you made it over. At least there is something to snack on here, see...

Thanks Bob
bet some of the docs at subic saw some stuff like that . neat stuff ken hope i never catch it
lakejessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009   #28
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakejessup View Post
bet some of the docs at subic saw some stuff like that . neat stuff ken hope i never catch it
Well they saw jungle rot on me for sure and I don't ever want it again there Randy. It eats the skin and flesh right off you and is extremely painful.

Nature is dynamic...it is the essence of chaos.
Ken Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up »

Share this topic: