Dragonfly
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2005   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 23
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Dragonfly

Props to you macro shooters. I saw some of the amazing photos so I went out and bought some extension tubes to experiment. I see a lot of patience is required for macro shooiting. I found one cooperating dragonfly that would sit still for me, the rest wouldn't let me get near. And even still, doesn't seem I can get nearly as close as some of you.

Canon 5D
metalstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 40
Default Re: Dragonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstorm
Props to you macro shooters.* I saw some of the amazing photos so I went out and bought some extension tubes to experiment.* I see a lot of patience is required for macro shooiting.* I found one cooperating dragonfly that would sit still for me, the rest wouldn't let me get near. * And even still, doesn't seem I can get nearly as close as some of you.

Bravo!
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005   #3
Llama

Thank you for the compliment.
Old 07-23-2005   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1443426
Editing OK?: No

Great shot, lets see more
RobAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005   #5
Llama

I went back out later and was able to find the same type of dragonfly. These are a lot bolder than the other types I've encountered. I'm not sure if this is the same little guy I took earlier.

Canon 5D
Old 07-24-2005   #6
Llama

Th0t,
Thanks for the input and great pic.
Old 07-24-2005   #7
Llama

Here is a 100% crop of the first image if anybody is interested.(actually it's of another image from the same batch from a slightly different angle)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dragon_close.jpg (106.0 KB, 66 views)
Old 07-25-2005   #8
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0t
That's an amazing macro shot---great job!!! Next time, it would be cool if you can increase the DOF---I'd love to seem more of him in focus.
I'm trying. I'm stopping down to f11 or so. Anymore than that and my flash can't keep up. I hope to get a real macro lens later this year so hopefully I an improve on the sharpness and DOF over my current equipment. Forget handholding for me without a flash - I wobble to much. I have to work on my technique to steady myself better I guess.

Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2005   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

These ddragon shots are fantastic. I've still to even have one sit still. I think I need to go down to some wetlands to have a better shot at finding them. Also I've never such colourful varieties in Sydney where I live. I'm so jealous.
Mr Majestyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #10
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk
These ddragon shots are fantastic. I've still to even have one sit still. I think I need to go down to some wetlands to have a better shot at finding them. Also I've never such colourful varieties in Sydney where I live. I'm so jealous.
Thanks. I've only just started photographing insects. I don't have any macro lenses so I bought some extension tubes to start. I've only had success with this type of dragon fly so far with my equipment. The rest shoot off at about 5 feet or so. I have to get 2 feet at least with my current stuff. Plus, I'm not very patient so maybe I scare them off. I think my next purchase will be a 180mm macro of some sort - sigma most likely because it's half price.

Canon 5D

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up »

Share this topic: