Ethiopian bread
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Ethiopian bread

I recently went to a function hosted by an Ethiopian of my acquaintance, where this kind of bread was on the menu. I have had it before, so I was pretty sure he would be serving it this time. It so happens that I both like the taste of this bread and was intrigued by the texture. Although not quite right, the taste is something like sourdough bread but extra, extra sour, and the texture is much like an extra-large flapjack made from some kind of dark grain. the side shown has a somewhat sticky texture. It was served rolled up, but I unrolled it onto a piece of paper towel to take these pictures.

#1: The whole half-piece unrolled, which before being cut in half, would be something like 25 cm diameter.
I0432rs.jpg

#2: A closeup of the piece to show its texture better.
I0433rs.jpg

#3: Macro shot, frame about 7-10 mm on the long side. If I remember correctly, this is from the area somewhat to the left of the mound toward the center of Image #2, if you care to try to match these images. The largest hole in this image is one of the medium to medium-large holes in image #2.
I0434rs.jpg

And, in case you're wondering, I ate the subject after photographing it.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 36490107
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Ethiopian bread

Interesting bread !- lovely shots

Brian V.
LordV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 44270404

Nice shots Alan & good info. I wonder how many types of breads (excepting the sliced one) are there in the world. At least 5 types of home made breads I had tasted in India
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Camel Breath

I was told that this particular kind of bread has an ingredient that is not readily available in this country and that my Ethiopian friend bought it at a store that specializes in ethnic foods.

As far as number of breads in the world, I would guess that it would be well into the hundreds and likely in the thousands. Even in a Safeway grocery store around here you can find commercial white bread, potato bread, whole wheat, whole grain, corn and (wheat) flour tortillas, sweet or extra sour French bread in bagues, baguettes, batards, sliced round loaves, Hawaiian King bread, Jewish rye, Russian rye, Scandanavian rye, pumpernickel, bagels of several varieties, pocket bread, yada, yada, yada - and those are just the varieties I have had firsthand experience with and most of which I have tasted. I have also excluded crackers, biscuits, cookies, and cakes, many of which nutritionally also count as forms of bread.

And thanks to your comment, Brian, who inspired me to spring for the Canon MPS-E65 and whom I regard as the premier resident macro expert.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 1825173

Very interesting!

"to trifle away their time, scald their Chops, and spend their Money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking, nauseous Puddle-water"

-- The Women's Petition Against Coffee 1674
laservet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 12513

I like the 2nd one the best - nicely abstract.
stevendillonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
Camel Breath

Thanks Paul and Steve.

This series was more intended for documentary purposes than artistic ones. Had I actually been trying for an abstract texture shot, I might have gotten a bit closer, but not quite as close as #3, and tried a bit harder to make the surface in the camera flame flatter and the lighting more even. I might even try cropping part of image #2 if I ever need a background component with a texture like this.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1145880

Nice shot.
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
Camel Breath

Glad you like it, Shadowman.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up »

Share this topic: