Tarantula's kneecap
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2019   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 1802855
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Tarantula's kneecap

Patella of my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens sling, fresh exoskeleton after a molt. As it matures the legs should lose the tan stripes and become iridescent blue. The blue is already creeping in.

Second is patella, femur and abdomen.

Third is tibia and abdomen.

On the full body shot you can see where the carapace hair is now starting to turn green around the eyes, as an adult the entire carapace will be iridescent green.

"to trifle away their time, scald their Chops, and spend their Money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking, nauseous Puddle-water"

-- The Women's Petition Against Coffee 1674

Last edited by laservet; 04-13-2019 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Added a couple of pics
laservet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 36490107
Default Re: Tarantula's kneecap

Interesting - loos very smart with the striped socks on
I'm always amazed how small the eyes are on tarantulas
Brian V.
LordV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 44246244

Great series Paul
Old 04-16-2019   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 12300
Editing OK?: Ask First

Nice series. I like the abstract feel you've captured.
stevendillonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 1802855

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordV View Post
Interesting - loos very smart with the striped socks on
I'm always amazed how small the eyes are on tarantulas
Brian V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
Great series Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevendillonphoto View Post
Nice series. I like the abstract feel you've captured.
Thanks, all! The colors and variety of hairs fascinates me.

Brian, the eyes are interesting. Four pair, the front center pair are the main eyes and differ from ours in that in the tarantula the photoreceptors in the main eyes face forward toward the incoming light, the opposite of mammals. Because of that the main eyes don't need a reflective layer at the back of the eye to bounce the incoming light back to the photoreceptors so there is no reflection or eye shine from those two eyes in flash photos. The other six eyes have backward facing photoreceptors and a reflective tapetum at the back similar to ours, eye shine is visible in a flash photo in those six.

Their visual system responds mostly to motion. Their body is covered with many different kinds of hairs, some of the variety is seen in these photos. Some give the tarantula positioning or proprioceptive information, some are touch receptors, some taste/smell receptors, some are barbed and can be flicked off by the rear legs to waft into the eyes or respiratory tract of a predator (urticating hairs, only on tarantulas from the New World, t's from the Old World lack urticating hairs but have much more potent venom). The underside of the foot and the tibia above the foot are densely packed with sensory hairs. They can "see" the world around them better with their hairs than with their eyes. Jumping spiders, OTOH, aren't ambush predators and need large main eyes to see their prey while on the hunt.

I can use a thin section of clear monofilament fishing line to tickle the ground outside the tarantula's lair and it will dash out and bite the line without being able to see it visually. Pretty amazing little world in which it lives.

"to trifle away their time, scald their Chops, and spend their Money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking, nauseous Puddle-water"

-- The Women's Petition Against Coffee 1674
laservet is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up »

Share this topic: