My tarantulas - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2019   #21
Llama

CamelKarma: 1802855
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: My tarantulas

Psalmopoeus irminia, Venezuelan Suntiger, molted. It spends most of its time inside its hiding place so no really good pics. When I fed it today it was doing the "happy dance" while it was eating its roach and one of its legs was temporarily visible. Here's the orange Nike slash characteristic of the species on the leg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tarantula Psalmopoeus irminia-3936.jpg (223.8 KB, 32 views)

"to trifle away their time, scald their Chops, and spend their Money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking, nauseous Puddle-water"

-- The Women's Petition Against Coffee 1674
laservet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019   #22
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 23726024
Editing OK?: Ask First

Great series! Having a huge fear of bugs I can't imagine having that many pet spiders....wow! They are beautiuflly coloured and thank you so much for sharing the images showing that.

Entered the DSLR world in 2009
Nikon D7000, Nikon D5000 - Nikkor 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 G VR , Tamron 90mm, Nikkor AF-SDX 18-300mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 150-500mm
Photoshop CS5
I enjoy taking local classes/photo shoots...always willing to listen and learn.
Taigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019   #23
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taigen View Post
Great series! Having a huge fear of bugs I can't imagine having that many pet spiders....wow! They are beautiuflly coloured and thank you so much for sharing the images showing that.
Thank you.

"to trifle away their time, scald their Chops, and spend their Money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking, nauseous Puddle-water"

Old 01-21-2019   #24
Llama

The Venezuelan Suntiger, recently molted, finally came out to play. This is a crummy pic through the side of the enclosure through webbing so not so sharp but it does show the colors on the underside. It has a red-orange heart shaped area surrounding the fangs and the underside of the front feet is iridescent blue-green. When it goes into a defensive posture it rears its body up revealing the underside and throws its front legs up, showing all of this to a potential predator, has "don't touch me" written all over it. Still a baby it's now ~ 2 1/2 inches long after the molt, a bit less than half its expected adult size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tarantula Psalmopoeus irminia-3938.jpg (217.5 KB, 28 views)

Old 01-27-2019   #25
Llama

Here's the Venezuelan Suntiger, again through the webbed up plastic enclosure, so crummy pic of a beautiful creature. I didn't touch the color saturation, it's more colorful than the photo shows. It's a fierce eater, I have to be very careful because it is faster than a person's reaction time, occasionally tries to attack or bolt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tarantula Psalmopoeus irminia-3959.jpg (230.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Tarantula Psalmopoeus irminia-3950.jpg (238.5 KB, 25 views)

Old 02-04-2019   #26
Llama

Green Bottle Blue eating a roach. Fang you very much.

Old 02-10-2019   #27
Llama

The 1 1/2" Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens sling fed again yesterday and let me loom right over her to get photos with the MP-E65 lens, better resolution than the 100 f2.8L IS macro I used in the previous pics.

It's a hairy little beast. On the crop of the legs you can see the very fine proprioceptive hairs that cross the joint space, giving it positional information on the joints and legs. And the femurs in that same photo have long black hairs with tan tips and very fine, short iridescent blue-green hairs that give them their color.

The crops of the abdomen show both the long orange hairs and the very short orange hairs and black hairs that give it the Batman figure in the center.

The roach is having a bad day.

Old 02-11-2019   #28
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by laservet View Post
The roach is having a bad day.
And obviously it won't be having any more days, so they won't be getting any better either.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019   #29
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
And obviously it won't be having any more days, so they won't be getting any better either.

Here she looks like she's smoking a roach.

Old 03-10-2019   #30
Llama

My little 1" Grammostola pulchra, Brazilian Black, sling molted. Its fangs are pink and soft after the molt and it takes 5-7 days for the exoskeleton on the fangs to harden enough for the sling to be able to eat. Here are the first four days, first photo day 1 was taken 6 to 18 hours after the molt (molted during the night sometime), then a shot every day through day 4. I'll add more days as I get them.

Photos taken of the sling while it was in its burrow, clinging to the dirty clear plastic wall of the enclosure, far from ideal. Color temp is the same for all, didn't touch the saturation. Love the Canon MP-E65 macro lens!

In the first photo one can see a row of brown raised domes inside the mouth, cheliceral or cuticular teeth. Tarantulas with these teeth can chew up their prey, those lacking these teeth can only suck fluid out of their prey. In all the photos one can see a trilobed pattern of much smaller raised brown dots on the labium and maxillae, the cuspules. They serve glandular, sensory, and/or mechanical functions.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up »

Share this topic: