Macro photography of the eye
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2014   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 194888
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Macro photography of the eye

Hi there,
This Friday I am scheduled to undertake some macro photography of an eyeball (in a live person). Which I am looking forward to but it will be a first for me. I am looking for tips advice especially on the lighting side.

My initial thoughts are:

Camera/Lens: EOS 1G Mk IV with a Macro EF 135mm f/2 L (tripod mounted)

For lighting I am conflicted. I am thinking about using a couple of Softboxes with continuous lighting or using a ring flash but I am leaning towards the former.

Thoughts? Will this work or do I need change tactics.

George.

"Coffee's for Closers"

RI Photographer | RI Wedding Photographer
DIGITALphotoconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Macro photography of the eye

The eye shots that make I like are side lit, but I would use flash so you can get enough light in a short exposure. I don't think a ring light would enhance the structure of the iris.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...89.hnpFu-rZxMg
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 194888
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Macro photography of the eye

Nice - I see that you get little in the way of reflection. It will be an experimental session and I will post the results.

"Coffee's for Closers"

RI Photographer | RI Wedding Photographer
DIGITALphotoconcept is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up »

Share this topic:

Tags
eyes, macro