Finally! A collision. - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3785
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Finally! A collision.

Superb all three-I really enjoy them.
Remy
Old 03-07-2010   #12
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 203

Thanks everyone!

Here's my latest:

My first attempt was to hang a plastic bag over a pan filled with water, and using a trigger cord on the camera, I would try to time the drops to get a good shot.

The problems: The drops were of different sizes, no way to time them, and they never landed in the same place. It is almost impossible to focus if they don't land in exactly the same place. Also, I had my flash set on full power, and I would freeze the drops that were bouncing back up, but not the ones that were falling. Changing the flash to either 1/32 or 1/64 power enabled me to freeze the motion.

My next attempt involved "borrowing some supplies" from work. I grabbed an IV bag and a micro-drip tubing. This allowed me to get the same sized drops and have control over their speed and where they landed. This was a HUGE advantage as far as success rate. I was even able to capture collisions by gradually increasing my drip rate. It was still all very random, and it required hundreds of pictures for a few keepers. I kept on with this method for quite some time, and just by getting the timing down, and lots of pure luck I got some very cool shots.

I finally decided to upgrade the system,and ended up buying a Stopshot timer which controls the water drip rate, and syncs the camera and flash to the falling water. Even with the technology, is definitely not an exact science. I have been able to capture many more collisions, and as you can see by the picture above, by varying the delay in the drops and the delay in the camera firing, I'm able to capture different types of collisions. Its still very much trial and error, but with the timer, I'm able to concentrate more on fine tuning what I want to capture vs. shooting 1000's of shots hoping for a keeper.

My next chore is to improve my lighting with an additional off shoe flash, and then start experimenting with different liquids.

For those that just want to play around and see what they get, the bag of water with a pin hole will work, it just takes some patience and luck. Get you flash to fire as fast as possible by reducing the power. Try to get the drops to hit the same place in the pan, and stick a pencil or something into the water where the drops are landing, and focus on the tip of the pencil. If you have an assistant, it actually helps to have them hold the pencil at about the height you think the water is splashing which will keep more things in focus.

Hope that helps!
Equipment List: Canon 5D - Canon 5DM2 - Canon 50mm 1.4 - Canon 70-200 f/4 L - Canon 17-40L - Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 - Tamron 180mm Macro - Canon EF 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS USM - Canon 580EX Speedlite - AB 800's
Beez Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #13
Alpaca

Starting to get the hang of this

I really like this one for some reason. Not the most beautiful collision, but something about the mirror sort of image and the freezing of the potential energy.

Equipment List: Canon 5D - Canon 5DM2 - Canon 50mm 1.4 - Canon 70-200 f/4 L - Canon 17-40L - Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 - Tamron 180mm Macro - Canon EF 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS USM - Canon 580EX Speedlite - AB 800's
Old 03-09-2010   #14
Alpaca

And my very first collision in a bubble!

Old 03-10-2010   #15
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1200264
Editing OK?: Yes

Absolutely fantastic! You are making it look easy haha...

The first one in #13 is an absolute favorite of mine. Tremendous work and thanks for sharing your ups and downs with these.

As always C&C welcome and appreciated

Cam: Nikon D300s, D90
Lenses: Nikon 18-135, 70-300VR, Nikon 300mm 2.8 AF-S, Nikon 50mm 1.8G AF-S, Nikon TC14E-II, Tamron 90mm 2.8
Nikon 12-24 f/4G, Nikon SB-600 Flash
Manfrotto 393

My Flickr Page

My Facebook Page
bill_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

These are marvelous. I especially like the second one in the first series--and the entire second series.
Old 03-11-2010   #17
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 188

really great - reckon they are pretty perfect - now on to different fluids?
AncientSnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #18
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 9282

Top job in the second series!
Next time it rains and my roof leaks I will think of the pretty collisions happening.

Learning by my mistakes....and yours! Damo
coalcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #19
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19702

Very nice series of drops! I have always been amazed at images much like these.

Thanks for sharing your experiences,

Scott

My new photo blog: http://www.buckelphotography.com/blog
ScottBuckel is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up »

Share this topic: