Valentine Banquet
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1736
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Valentine Banquet

What setup or camera settings would you suggest for photographing a valentina banquet. I'm asked to shoot some photos at a banquet next week. The light is very low. Almost candel light. Lots of decorations. I would like to capture the mood. I'm not very experienced and would like feedback.

I will be shooting with Nikon D40. I have an SB600 and an ohter external flash.

Old 02-04-2010   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 210
Default Re: Valentine Banquet

Sounds similar to 'party shooting,. or night clubs.

I've been doing it this way after watching a few video's (google 'event photography' or 'party photography'.

D300 & D200
manual exposure
SS 1/4 of a second @ f/8-f/9
ISO 200 (native for D300, if yours goes to a hundred, try it.)
flash SB800

Manual focus distance set between 5 to 8 feet as needed (I use 7),
hand held SB800 off camera w/wireless trigger (transmitter or corded trigger on camera hotshoe). Typically the only changes made during the event were power settings on the flash. I adjusted it higher when overlooking the whole place and lower when subject(s) were within 15 feet or so.

I'm thinking there are plenty of examples on the internet but if you want to see some of mine just pm me.

gene
Old 02-05-2010   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1736
Default Re: Valentine Banquet

Thanks. I will give that a try. It's the fist time i'll do this.
Koby

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: