1 Cybersync receiver, 2 flash units?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 1 Cybersync receiver, 2 flash units?

Has anyone done this?

Looks like PCB doesn't recommend it, but if I could fire 2 SB-20's from a single CSRB that would be a good thing.

Old 12-11-2009   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 48994
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: 1 Cybersync receiver, 2 flash units?

currently in studio we are using 3 heads with radio trigges on them....Not sure if that is what you are refering to. With the selection of the chanels and setting them up to sync with the trigger.....I even use the wireless triggers for my portable flash and it is so nice to work with as you don't have cords strung all around. Also the fact that no one else can access your flash like when using the optic slave.
If you want to go top drawer, Pocket wizards are one of the top of th eline products out there. There are several other brands out there that also work well together.
Not sure if this is what the initials stand for you mentioned but am guessing that is what you mean.
Sigma Bigma 50mm to 500mm
Certified Professional Photographer
Certified Craftsman Photographer

Everyone has a photographic memory,some people just don't have any film!
camrajoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No

I have one Cybersync SRB (transmitter) and 2 Cybersync CSRB receivers

Works great, this way. Guess you could get by with just one receiver firing 2 flashes, but I'm unsure about the reliability you'd have.
Old 12-11-2009   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

Proceed with caution. This may work for a while but there is a distinct possibility that using 2 flash units off on receiver can, in time, damage the receiver and possibly the flash units as well.

In the olden days there were little adapters that would allow the triggering 2 flash units directly from the camera's synchronization contact. however, in time the synch contacts in the shutter would carbonize and finally fail thus requiring a rather expensive repair.

Problem here, I do not know the circuitry in those receivers nor do I know the trigger voltage limits for the receiver to function safely and correctly. I also don't know the trigger voltage of the combined flash units. It is therefore difficult to advise you. Problems can occur with flash units of different manufacture and polarity difficulties could factor in as well.

It is a well known fact that excessive trigger voltage can harm a digital camera. I am not sure if the same applies to your receiver but in any case I would try to ascertain the answers to the aforementioned voltage data from both the manufacturers of the flash units and the receiver.

The repairs involved in restoring the receiver and possibly the flash units will far exceed the cost of one more receiver. If you misuse the equipment, all warranties can be voided. Besides, why introduce more wires into the system, it kinda defeats the purposes of having electronic slave units. If there are no other photographers working at the same location or in your space, you can trigger the other unit with a relatively inexpensive optical (photo/electric) slave module- just a few bucks.

Many of my colleagues cal me "Mr. Worst Case Scenario" but I base my warnings on previous experience- having a unit or two fail in the middle of a shoot in no joke. Oftentimes there are no warnings; overly-volted semiconductors can die quietly and unceremoniously without the fanfare of smoke or loud pops. Be advised!

Ed
Old 12-11-2009   #5
Alpaca

Thanks, Ed. I have 3 of the battery powered (CSRB) receivers, but often use 2 of them together in a dual flash setup on a light-stick. I use 2 receivers to fire 2 flashes into an umbrella. I figured I might be able to free up a receiver to fire a 3rd flash if needed. I'd probably be better off picking up that 4th receiver anyway.

Thanks...
maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #6
Alpaca

BTW, I do the majority of my shooting outdoors. Optical slaves are not very reliable in that particular environment.
Old 12-11-2009   #7
Photocamel Master

Yes! It is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the electronics in today's equipment. It's goo to have a spare radio in any cases, even the top of the line models can fail.

Interesting that you are working in Long Island, my old hunting grounds. I was born and raised in Brooklyn (Bet-Sty to be exact) and when I got into the business I worked in the entire metropolitan area including Nassau and Suffolk Counties. I remember those BIG venues, back in the 50s and 60s) that could accommodate dozens of weddings each weekend- places like Leonard's an Norther Blvd and The Huntington Town House, I wonder if they are still operating. I like your images- lots of good spontaneous candid work. Best of luck.

Ed

Last edited by Ed Shapiro; 12-11-2009 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Typos
Ed Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #8
Alpaca

Thanks for the compliment.....I appreciate you taking the time to look.

Larger venues on Long Island like Jericho Terrace, Westbury Manor, and the like are doing well. Leonard's is still in business, but the Huntington Townhouse has been gone for a couple of years now. The building is still there, but it hasn't been in operation for years. Last I heard Lowes bought it and was going to build a new store there.

Here's a pic of my dual flash setup. I was thinking of using a single Cybersync to trigger both of these flashes.

I think I'll just stick to my original 1 receiver/1 flash unit setup.
Old 12-13-2009   #9
Photocamel Master

Thanks for the update. Up here in my city, photographers find it difficult to believe that there were venues that could accommodate 10 or 20 affairs in one time slot.

You flash mount is interesting. Do you bounce those units into an umbrella or use them separately as "room lights" or as a main light? Can you post an image showing what the lights in that configuration can do. I can see why you want to fore them from one receiver. I worry about the electronic issues that I mentioned in my last post. In the old days, I ran 2 units off of one slave- they were Strobeflash II mad my Graphlex. The trigger circuits operated on a thyratron vacuum tube and there was no appreciable amperage and therefore no spark to kill the shutters. I would suggest contacting the manufacturers of both the flashes and the slaves and inquire about their suggestions.

Let me know! Thanks, Ed
Old 12-13-2009   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11

Why would not you buy a cheap optical trigger for the second flash for $7 on ebay ? That will work very good outdoors if you set the flash with the optical trigger little in front of the other flash or somehow ensure that the optical trigger sees the firing flash.
Some optical triggers have PC connectors so you even can use a tape or velcro to attache the trigger to the main flash and use a PC cord to connect it to the second one.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: