soft box for of camera flash units
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 31628
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default soft box for of camera flash units

It's that time of year and people want to know what is on my xmas list. well after I told them and they said no a list that would mean us not having won the lottery lol I was thinking of a soft box for my canon 580ex flash unit. I saw these in a mag the other week http://www.studio-flash.com/50cm-x-5...etz-p-709.html and just wanted some feed back. Does any one use anything like this ? what's good or bad about them?. I was also looking for some book ideas mainly on the subjects of portraits. So does anyone have any good books they could recommend ?

f1nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 48994
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: soft box for of camera flash units

Looks like a nice unit....only thing is you wont have a modeling light to show you where it is going to hit. But if you aim it right and avoid having to readjust. you will get a softer direct light. The softbox will provide a larger and softer source of light that will allow you to give much better results. Because it is softening, you will notice that it will eat up your batteries as you will be shooting more full power.
Sigma Bigma 50mm to 500mm
Certified Professional Photographer
Certified Craftsman Photographer

Everyone has a photographic memory,some people just don't have any film!
camrajoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrajoky View Post
Looks like a nice unit....only thing is you wont have a modeling light to show you where it is going to hit.
If connected with a sync cord, I believe pressing the DOF preview button on the cam will cause the flash to pulse, essentially providing a modeling light.
Old 11-14-2009   #4
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrajoky View Post
Looks like a nice unit....only thing is you wont have a modeling light to show you where it is going to hit. But if you aim it right and avoid having to readjust. you will get a softer direct light. The softbox will provide a larger and softer source of light that will allow you to give much better results. Because it is softening, you will notice that it will eat up your batteries as you will be shooting more full power.
Thanks for that quick reply. I guess it would be a trial and error sort of thing to start with. I really am looking to use it outdoors more then indoors but that may well change as time goes on. The battery side of things I will just have to put up a small price to pay if I get the photos I want.
Old 11-14-2009   #5
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampler View Post
If connected with a sync cord, I believe pressing the DOF preview button on the cam will cause the flash to pulse, essentially providing a modeling light.

Will try that out after. Thanks for the tip.

f1nut is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: