White Seamless with White Props
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Question White Seamless with White Props

I have lurked here for a while, I have read and re-read everything from ZARIAS website on shooting on white seamless.

My shots turn out great, but I just received a white #1 for shooting 1yr old kids.

My question/problem is: How do you get the white number from not getting blown away by the main/fill lights, I have metered the main and fill light and all the background lights correctly with my Sekonic358 but unless the fill is turned OFF or the prop is turned just slightly, I get a Numer 1 that gets blown out too much.

Please reply with a lighting setup sheet if possible.

thanks

Old 04-12-2009   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 965208
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: White Seamless with White Props

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymirth View Post
I have lurked here for a while, I have read and re-read everything from ZARIAS website on shooting on white seamless.

My shots turn out great, but I just received a white #1 for shooting 1yr old kids.

My question/problem is: How do you get the white number from not getting blown away by the main/fill lights, I have metered the main and fill light and all the background lights correctly with my Sekonic358 but unless the fill is turned OFF or the prop is turned just slightly, I get a Numer 1 that gets blown out too much.

Please reply with a lighting setup sheet if possible.

thanks
First of all I'm not sure where you have the fill but it should be beside the camera off to one side slightly. The number should be turned slightly so the face of it is not flat to the camera or flat to the fill and or main light. Think of the number as if it were a mirror. If you look directly into a mirror your face will be reflected, but step slightly to one side and you are no longer visible, so don't aim the light directly at it and you won't get a reflection (which is what is blowing it out.)

Benji
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes

Thanks, there's a fine line between the angle of the fill and main and the angle of the prop, especially with a little 1yr old moving it slightly- on accident of course.

Any other suggestions
heymirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 1685
Editing OK?: Ask First

Paint it a different color or shade of real light gray.

happusa is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: