Profile Versus 2/3rds View
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 22449
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Profile Versus 2/3rds View

You may have heard that the only difference between a profile and a 2/3rds view portrait is camera position. Lighting does not have to change. I did this demonstration for a local camera club, using some Bat Mitzvah portraits that I recently captured. They were taken in the temple, a few days prior to the actual event.
I thought that some of the Camel members may find this useful.

In the first image I placed the camera in position for a profile portrait. The lighting was set up for a traditional lighting setup...from the front it's a 2/3rds view with short lighting. For the 2nd image I merely moved the camera. The lighting stays in the same position and the camera settings do not change.

File Type: jpg PhotoDiagram Profile View.jpg (69.1 KB, 120 views)
deluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 22449
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Profile Versus 2/3rds View

In the 2nd image...the camera moves to the front. I did remove the hair light because it was in the field of view. Other than that, nothing changed. Note that the lighting pattern is exactly the same:

File Type: jpg PhotoDiagram 2-3ds view.jpg (67.7 KB, 120 views)
deluco is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: