Background Support Suggestions?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2006   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 80
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Background Support Suggestions?

And no I don't want to build one out of pvc.
Looking for something to hang seemless and fabrics. Needs to be easily dismantled, packed up and taken with if the occasion arises. My "studio" space is just temp space in the home.

Right now I'm looking at a Savage Portastand
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ghType=search#

Or one of the offerings from Amvona that they sell on ebay.
Can't figure out the difference though between the AS-014 and the AS-014-2.

Any other suggestions? Or thoughts on these two options?

Old 04-11-2006   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428
Default Re: Background Support Suggestions?

Though I've used neither, I would say go with the Savage. $100 for two new stands and a crossbar is a good price. I've read some not so complementary things about Amvona hardware.

I've used a variety of BG supports, right now I use an overhead track which doesn't suit your situation. You may also consider a couple of autopoles and a crossbar (you'd need some mounting hardware to connect the bar to the autopoles)

When I go on location I use a couple of heavy duty Talon stands with superclamps on the spigits to hold a telescoping bar... good setup, rock solid when the stands are weighted with sandbags or boom ballasts.

I use 1" emt conduit for extra crossbars in the studio, cheap and strong, but not very light.

Good luck.

Chip

Old 04-12-2006   #3
Llama

Thanks guys.

TJ, if you have a link handy I'd like to take a look.
d2creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #4
Llama

I just found the portastand locally for only 15 bucks more. I'll probably just stop by there tonite and pick that up unless anyone sees a reason not to.
d2creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 26

I've found stands like you're talking about to be great for fabric backdrops but less than ideal for seamless paper. Especially if you're working alone it can be a real pain to raise the stands (first a little bit on one side, then a little on the other, over and over) in such a way that the paper doesn't get a crease mark in it. And changing from one color to another was (usually) something I didn't want to do during a session. And without a method of holding the paper roll in place, it tends to either unroll all the way or not unroll at all. So generally you'd need someone up on a ladder with some kind of clamp at the ready while you pull the paper out to your desired length. I just found it frustrating.

Unfortunately better solutions for paper backdrops cost more.

What I'm using now is a Bogen/Manfrotto backdrop system which basically consists of a couple of brackets that hold up to 3 rolls of paper together with a plastic chain drive system for raising/lowering the paper. It's REAL easy to use and I can change among my 3 installed rolls in seconds.

Those brackets could be bolted into the wall (if your location allows) or supported by something strong. I'm using the Bogen/Manfrotto "Autopole" system for mine. That is a telescoping pole system that goes up to something like 12 feet or so (can't remember) and with a lever-lock system it ends up being firmly anchored in place simply by pressing down into the floor and up into the ceiling. The brackets fit right at the top of this. It's a really cool system.

But it isn't all that good with fabric backdrops. So I still have my traditional holder (like you're looking at) which I will occasionally use for fabric. Other times I'll use it as an overhead support system in front of my model, to hang things like sheer curtains or horizontal blinds or whatever.

All I'm really saying is that I haven't found a system that works ideally with both paper rolls and fabrics.

Hope this is of help...

Eldor
Constructive critiques and suggestions are most welcome!* But please do NOT download and edit my photos without first asking for and receiving permission.* Thanks!<br /><br />Click here for &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.gemst.com/photos&quot;&gt;Eldor's Photos&lt;/a&gt;
Eldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2creative
And no I don't want to build one out of pvc.
Looking for something to hang seemless and fabrics. Needs to be easily dismantled, packed up and taken with if the occasion arises. My "studio" space is just temp space in the home.

Any other suggestions?
...well... not PVC, but for about $15,= a piece I bought two 'construction light stands' at the local DIY market, they go to 2.5 meter in height, and have three 'stages' and a collapsible 'tripod'-foot.

Then I bought two aluminium bars of 1.20 meter, that fit 'telescopically' (one is 20mm in diameter, the hull is 2mm thick, the other is 16mm in diamter and fits *exactly* ), I drilled a hole in each one, bought 2 bolts with butterfly-nuts and some nylon spacers, total $ 12.75.

) and for $ 42.75 you are set w/the stands, max height 2.5 meter, max useable width 2.0 meter.

For fabric I use fleece, as this does not wrinkle, and is 'stretchy', so you can create a nice even backdrop.

In the Netherlands fleece-fabric is sold in various colours in various width, most common is 1.5 meter.

Hope this helps some, *my* 0.02 worth

Kindest regards,

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home
For fabric I use fleece, as this does not wrinkle, and is 'stretchy', so you can create a nice even backdrop.

In the Netherlands fleece-fabric is sold in various colours in various width, most common is 1.5 meter.

Hope this helps some, *my* 0.02 worth

Kindest regards,

Max@Home
Fleece is actually a very good suggestion for a wrinkle free fabric, it's also pretty non-reflective. It should work well.

The only situation where you may have trouble is when you light it for background separation... and that's just a guess because I've not used it that way.

Good idea.
Old 04-17-2006   #8
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 11214

I use a piece of black fabric (mat) between 2 posts of wood. I made the base for the post with a board of wood. All together it cost me around 30/40 euros

My website: www.lorekstudio.com
My email: lorekphoto@hotmail.com

EOS 7D + 24-70mm 2.8 + 70-200mm 2.8 + 100 mm 2.8 macro + 15 mm 2.8
Lorek is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: