woo hoo bought a light meter
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2008   #1
D.Rodgers

CamelKarma:
Default woo hoo bought a light meter

Finally talked the wife into letting me buy another tool.
I picked up a Sekonic flash master.i only grabbed a quick shot to compare with and was very surprised.
The first is with the Sekonic incident and the second with my D300 built in reflective meter.
No more bracketing for me

Old 10-18-2008   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 90
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: woo hoo bought a light meter

Congratulations! Wow, I am suprised at such a difference. I have a Nikon D300 also, and have been wanting a Sekonic. Which one did you get?
Illusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 10425

Can't afford a Nikon D300 but I did purchase a Sekonic L358 and I have not regretted the purchase not one day. I an surprised to see that much of a difference between the two shots.
chevyt1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #4
D.Rodgers

CamelKarma:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
Congratulations! Wow, I am suprised at such a difference. I have a Nikon D300 also, and have been wanting a Sekonic. Which one did you get?
The L358

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyt1963 View Post
Can't afford a Nikon D300 but I did purchase a Sekonic L358 and I have not regretted the purchase not one day. I an surprised to see that much of a difference between the two shots.
There is such a difference because i had it on spot meter but I have used the matrix mode for macro and always have to bracket to get the same exposure.
Old 10-23-2008   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2656581

D., there is a big difference in the two shots you posted. I have a Sekonic 308S, but don't use it much. I don't think it works as a flash meter.... or does it? I know the L 358 is the better meter. Cheers, Bill P.
gaopa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 32
Editing OK?: Ask First

I as well have the L-358, having it for a little over a month now. My success story didn't start out so well as I didn't realize that you've got to calibrate the meter to your camera and lenses! Therefore, purchased Lastolite's collapsible calibration disk, which MADE A BIG, BIG DIFFERENCE! Since buying the Lastolite collapsible calibration disk, am now also for the first time doing on-site custom-white balancing, which I stayed away from as I thought it was too complicated to mess with. But on the contrary! Custom-White-Balancing is very easy to do!!!

The Lastolite collapsible calibration disk, called EZBALANCE, is basically a Lastolite collapsible reflector with an 18% gray "card" on one side that has white cross-hairs in the center (like looking through a rifle-scope). The disk has a black-outer ring on the "reflector" giving you the three main calibration colors; 18% gray, white, and black, giving you 3 spikes for easy exposure calibration in your camera's histogram. It really works great, making for an easy, inexpensive, and accurate exposure / white-balance calibration. Westcott makes a similar (and MUCH BETTER) collapsible calibration disk, but its priced accordingly.

Anyway, after calibrating the L-358 light meter to my camera and lenses, find that I'm using the light meter for all-of my portraits and other close-up shots of things as it's just so much more ACCURATE than the reflected meter. I simply cannot believe what a HUGE DIFFERENCE that an incident meter makes on black objects! I never knew that my camera was over-exposing dark objects till I started using the L-358! WOW! What a DIFFERENCE! BLACK-things ARE NOW BLACK like they're supposed to be! And colors? EVERYTHING is dependent on correct exposure -and- white-balance!
MyPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #7
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 126
Editing OK?: Ask First

Congrats, D. That's nice kit. I think the first time I used them was back in the late seventies/early eighties.
I'll be interested to hear how you cope with the extra fiddling and time loss involved in applying it IRL.

My way to get an itsy bitsy more saturation and detail is by standard underexposing by 1/2 F/stop if I shoot JPG. But if I shoot RAW I can of course adjust the aperture any which way I want, after the fact (not affecting the DoF)!
For me these m.o.'s work considerably faster and less stressfull than hand metering with a Sekonic does. With, especially in the case of RAW, boatloads more flexibility. Which translates in convenience and markedly higher IQ.
But if you work off of a tripod, and time and stress levels are inconsequential, maybe it adds some romantic "je ne sais qoi" to the process. Unfortunately I rarely have those luxuries.

Have fun!
Take12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045

Congrates David I just got 1 of these meters as well. It arrived yesterday and it's really cool!! I think I know how to use it, but what I don't understand is how your D300 was so far off?? That is just insane to me. How did you actually use the meter for the shot above? Ambient mode in aperture priority mode?

My perspective,
I'm curious about this calibration process? What exactly did you do to calibrate it? Meter the black and then tell the L358 meter it was black or something? Or are you just shooting that EZBalance at every shoot for reference?

Thanks,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #9
D.Rodgers

CamelKarma:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm324 View Post
Congrates David I just got 1 of these meters as well. It arrived yesterday and it's really cool!! I think I know how to use it, but what I don't understand is how your D300 was so far off?? That is just insane to me. How did you actually use the meter for the shot above? Ambient mode in aperture priority mode?

My perspective,
I'm curious about this calibration process? What exactly did you do to calibrate it? Meter the black and then tell the L358 meter it was black or something? Or are you just shooting that EZBalance at every shoot for reference?

Thanks,
Jay
i haven't calibrated as of yet but its so close That its not really necessary .
The d300 in my opinion has a poor metering system mine came presest from the factory at -2 compensation,I set it back to neutral ,that's why it reads so bright.
i would like to hear how you calibrate your's..
Old 11-07-2008   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 4696
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take12 View Post
But if I shoot RAW I can of course adjust the aperture any which way I want, after the fact (not affecting the DoF)!
Regardless of what tricks you can perform on the computer you will never get an image as good as one that is properly exposed in the first place. These fixes always involve compromising on quality. There is no magic bullet that will let you shoot on the fly without worrying about exposing accurately.

Dan

Danlphot is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: