Off-camera bounce flash
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2008   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7917
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Off-camera bounce flash

Every once in a while I'll take some grab shots at dance class. It gives me a chance to practice new techniques, and is good advertising for my family portraiture and event photography. The venue is challenging, as it's lit by flourescents and there are mirrors on 2 walls. My approach is to pick an aperture/shutter/iso combination that will subdue the yuckie ambient light, and rely on a single flash for primary illumination. Here's an example from my pre-strobist days. I used a lumiquest soft box on the hotshoe mounted flash.

I got some useful images, but typical of any on-camera flash approach, the subjects' faces have been flattened by the direct flash. I"ve found that's even true to some degree if a bounce card is used.

Thanks to Peter Gregg and his delightful ABBC bounce card, and to David Hobby for his Stobist blog, Friday night's results were an improvement. I used a short version of the ABBC, and held the flash in my left hand, extended as far to the side as my arm would reach.

I'll be shooting the next couple's wedding in June, and we've been having trouble getting together to shoot a picture for their signing frame. We've decided this shot will do.

------------------------------------
DSLR Cameras: D700, D200,
AF Primes: 35/1.8DX, 60/2.8G, 85/1.4, 180/2.8
MF Primes: 20/3.5UD, 28/3.5K, CV40/2, 105/2.5
Zooms: 24-120/4VR, 70-300VR
M4/3 System: Oly e-pl2, 14-42mm, 20/1.7
Uncle Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: