Lighting thoughts
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 41
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lighting thoughts

OK beging in to portrait/ studio photography, old hat at location stuff. This is my first series in my home basement. I posted these in another thread but I wanted more feedback and it was buried there. I hope that is ok!

Anyhow here are three recent ones I took without the touch up.

What I used where I was using a 50-150 lense. My Seamless is 6'-6" wide

Old 03-27-2008   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 965208
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Lighting thoughts

Torlough,

I suggest some changes in your lighting. I would power up your on camera flash. You had it at 1/32nd. All of these images are underexposed. A fill light will help prevent underexposure, especially when the subject is wearing black. I would put your on camera flash on full then take some wide clear Scotch tape and tape a layer or two of white Kleenix tissues across the tube. This will be your fill light. You could also flip it so it is straight up and take a curved index card and rubber band it onto the flash. The idea here is to soften it down. The softbox I would use as a main light. Your main light in the first two images appears to have been properly placed. The other light, depending on how low your ceilings are I think would be a good hair/background light. I would fire it raw into the cove where the ceiling meets the back wall. It may need to be flagged so none of it strikes the lens. A silver reflector could be your kicker. I make mine out of cardboard that measures 30 x 60 or so. Take some aluminum foil and gently crumple it up, then CAREFULLY uncrumple it and glue it to the cardboard (I use Elmers spray on glue in the orange can.) The stuff stinks so do this outdoors! Cheap but works really great.

After doing this if your lighting is flat, turn the power down on your on camera flash by 1/2.

Post some more!

benji

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: