Your thoughts on this setup?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 14080
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Your thoughts on this setup?

A local photography store has this setup for sale...

Photoflex First Studio Portrait Kit
Output - 2 x 250 Watts
Colour Temp - Tungsten
Recycle Time - n/a
Kit Includes:
2 x FirstStar 250 Watt lamps
2 x FirstStar Light Heads
2 x 43" silver umbrellas
2 x 2205 light stands

I'm thinking that I would like to set up a home studio (first grand child on the way!) and this is a set up that wouldn't break the bank. Any thoughts about these lights?

Helpful suggestions on how to improve my photographic skills always appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miatasrus
PhotogWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 591
Default Re: Your thoughts on this setup?

Tungsten lights are hot. 250 watts isn't all that bright. Baby skin is sensitive. And they can move quickly.

So, while tungsten lights will help you visualize the image, I would suggest looking for a low-cost strobe system instead of hot lights.

The hot lights may need to be too close to the subject and may not be bright enough to give a decent aperture at a fast enough shutter speed.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2656581
Editing OK?: Yes

Paul, if that kit is a really good deal I would give it a try. I am using hot lights that were given to me and I am pleased with what I am getting for not knowing what i am doing.

I like being able to see what image I will get. I guess my real problem is that I don't have a clue how one uses strobes and I don't want to spend any money as it is a hobby for me. I have posted several groups of hot light photos on Prortraits/People here on the Camel in the past week. You can go see what you think. They are not outstanding images, but you can get an idea of what hot lights will give you. Good luck, Bill P.
gaopa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 229974
Editing OK?: Ask first

Like JohnC said. Also, hot lights aren't too bad in the winter time, but summer time it can get pretty warm unless you have really good AC. They also use more electricity. If you can, get yourself 1 monolight with stand and some type of light modifier. and a large reflector. You can get great results and learn a lot with the one light. As your experience and expendable cash increases, you can add another light.

I use both hot lights and strobes. If I'm photographing children, the strobe is the preferred method.

I checked out the lighting set up. It seems like a pretty good quality. Photoflex has been around for quite awhile.
Old 02-27-2008   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2656581
Editing OK?: Yes

Yep, I think you guys are right about the heat. Even with the a/c going, it could be hot in that room!

I do have an AB that I got used on another site... it is the Alien Bee 400, stand and wireless attachment for the hot shoe of my camera. I could use it with one of my umbrellas. I will give it a try at some point soon.
gaopa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 14080

Thanks guys. I didn't realize that they were hot lamps. Good to know.

Helpful suggestions on how to improve my photographic skills always appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miatasrus
PhotogWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: