Lighting on Granite
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 26
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lighting on Granite

One of the recent strobist posts about lighting on two planes gave me this idea. So I set off to Home Depot and purchased a shiny 12" x 12" piece of polished black granite for less than $6. I wish they had bigger, but this will work until I can find something else.

I went through several variations to get enough blue on the background for it to strongly color the granite but not put too much blue light into my composition. The key is that whole "family of angles" thing from Light: Science and Magic. Whatever place I used to shoot from had to see only the reflected blue light from my background and nothing more. Sounds easy but it took a few hours.

Here is my final setup after playing around:

Click on the picture to go to flickr, where everything is labeled with notes.

Here are a couple of shots that I like from the setup:

And another:

For a slightly less stylized (post processed) version of the second one, click here.

C&C welcome on any of the shots, and I'm happy to answer questions about the setup.

flickr
See my most interesting pics on flickriver
RussHeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 594
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Lighting on Granite

I'm really not crazy about the 'stylized' version of #2, but the first one is pretty darn good. it goes to show that you don't always need thousands of dollars in camera equipment to take a neat shot (wish I saw this earlier )
waple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #3
Alpaca

Waple -- Yeah, the version of #2 shown is certainly pushing the boundary for realism, but it was done on request for my wife who is looking for a particular set of colors and feel to put up in our house.

Going to Home Depot latelty has turned into a challenge to see how much DIY lighting gear I can get for the least amount of money. It's fun to play . . .
Old 02-27-2008   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 5477

Very interesting - I never would have thought to use granite in that fashion. I have a huge slab of blackish/very dark brown granite on my counter top - 2 1/2ft x 3 ft that was meant to be used as a food prep area until it instantly dulled my knives - but I digress - It still sits in it's place and I use it now for reflection shots instead of a mirror. It gets rid of the ghost effect in the reflections.

I'm going to have to give this a shot (no pun intended )
BoxerPetesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #5
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerPetesMom View Post
Very interesting - I never would have thought to use granite in that fashion. I have a huge slab of blackish/very dark brown granite on my counter top - 2 1/2ft x 3 ft that was meant to be used as a food prep area until it instantly dulled my knives - but I digress - It still sits in it's place and I use it now for reflection shots instead of a mirror. It gets rid of the ghost effect in the reflections.

I'm going to have to give this a shot (no pun intended )
Show us your results if you do!

flickr
See my most interesting pics on flickriver

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: