Repairs to light--need advice
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 177
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Repairs to light--need advice

One of the studio lights I've been shooting with is a Britek PS-200, 120ws.

I accidentally left it on, on full power overnight (I KNOW-------BAD, BAD, BAD!), and now I'm having problems with it. Both lights come on, modeling lamp, and flash tube, but now the light will not flash, it stays continuous.

Can this light be repaired, or is it worth my time and money? I replace the same light for $117. including shipping, so I'm not sure if I should waste my time and money.

If anyone knows a repair shop, please let me know, as I can always use it as a backup.

PHOTOMOM

Old 02-19-2008   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 591
Default Re: Repairs to light--need advice

I would probably not bother with repair. Most repair shops I've dealt with have a minimum charge that will be close to the cost of replacing the light.

Are you saying that the flash tube stays on continuously now? Or is the model light on continuous and the flash tube is just dead?
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #3
Vicuna

Actually, they both still light, continuously. Are they not supposed to be lit at the same time?

If so, I'm guess I'm sitting on a time bomb for a fire!

PhotoMom
PhotoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #4
Vicuna

Both lights DO work. I checked them for that. Which one is the modeling light, the curved one or the straight onre? I do have replacements for the straight one, but not curved light.

I'm sorry, I'm showing my stupidity, because I'm not sure which is the flash tube, and which is the modeling light. They actually both work, they just don't flash when my other light flashes.

It confused me at first because I knew my light was on, but I was getting dark shadows on that side, and I didn't see the catchlight in my subject's eye and because of placement, should have been able to see it.

That's when I realized that the light wasn't working.

PhotoMom
PhotoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #5
Dromedary

Without seeing the strobe it might be hard to guess. But typically, a modelling lamp looks something like a household incandescent light bulb on lower-cost strobes. As you move up in price they may start using quartz halogen lights that are thinner and have a bayonet or a screw base.

A flash tube usually has at least two separate connectors to the flash head and probably has a thin wire wrapped around it, too.

The flash tube should not light up continuously. It is filled with a gas that lights up when you fire the flash. The modelling lamp works like your normal household lights. Turn the switch on, it goes on.

The modelling light stays on all the time so you can see. The flash goes on for a split-second, but very bright, in sync with the camera's shutter. If the flash tube is lit up all the time something is defintely very wrong. Can you call the folks you purchased the lights from to see if they can help you?
Old 02-19-2008   #6
Dromedary

This page has illustrations of the flash tube and the modelling lamps in the third row...
Britek PS Series 200 300 Flash Tubes Modeling Lamps Accessories
Old 02-19-2008   #7
Vicuna

Well, they're just the opposite of what I THOUGHT they were!!! I'm gonna go check them again and get back to you.

PhotoMom

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: