Triggering AB units with PC Cable
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 50
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Triggering AB units with PC Cable

Are the Alien Bees strobes compatible with the Nikon AC-15 hotshoe to PC converter(and D80)? I'm reading the AS-15 "manual" and its says that one must use a compatible strobe that is not over 6 volts. I thought the trigger went from AS-15 to strobe and not the opposite? I need to shoot, and my wireless transmitter is on back order, so I need to go "native", so to speak.
Thanks
Jerry

Old 02-16-2008   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Triggering AB units with PC Cable

You might want to move/post this in the Nikon forum for a faster reply...
Old 02-16-2008   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 19072

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchjp View Post
Are the Alien Bees strobes compatible with the Nikon AC-15 hotshoe to PC converter(and D80)? I'm reading the AS-15 "manual" and its says that one must use a compatible strobe that is not over 6 volts. I thought the trigger went from AS-15 to strobe and not the opposite? I need to shoot, and my wireless transmitter is on back order, so I need to go "native", so to speak.
Thanks
Jerry

Yes, the Nikon AS-15 hotshoe adapter works great with the Alienbees lights. There are others too, but the Nikon is the best choice, because it has the lock to keep it from sliding around in the hotshoe. The others stop working sometimes until you recenter them.

The flash is what provides the "sync voltage". AlienBees is very safe for any camera, like only 5 volts. Nikon cameras are rated for up to 250 volts. The cameras shutter grounds that sync cable (and its voltage) to trigger the flash. You can short that cable with a paper clip to make this point.
WayneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 50

Thanks Wayne
I bought the AS-15 today, but I was fearful of using it after reading the directions.
So, after your response, just hooked it up and it worked fine. Thanks a bunch for relieving my fears. The PC cable from the AB fits pretty loosely in the AS-15 too. I presume its supposed to be that way as a safety feature?
Thanks
Jerry
ranchjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 19072

I had not noticed it being "loose", it has never given me any trouble, but yes, it is just a standard PC connector - a light friction fit. Same as on the SB-800 flash, or on a flash meter, for example. It normally wont fall out,the weight of the cord hanging down sort of binds it sideways I guess, but if you trip on the cable, it will pull loose, which seems better than turning the camera tripod over. I have accidently pulled one loose from the flash meter several times, by moving the flash meter around.
WayneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11

If it's too loose, it will give you problems with miss-firing. You can do one of two things. You can get a pc conditioning tool, or just give the outside contacts a very gentle squeeze with a pair of small needle nose. The voltage should be fine with the AB's. It is correct that Nikon cameras are rated at 250 volts. Have fun.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: