light position
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2656581
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default light position

This afternoon I tried some light positions.

The first image shows my 250watt hot light rear pointed on the background and the front light is a 650watt hot light shot into an umbrella and reflected on my wife. The front light is back with me beside my camera. The room has light walls.

The second image shows the same rear light on the background, but this time the front light is a 250watt hot light shot into an umbrella and reflected on her. That light is up near her on her left side (my right side).

She was in a hurry to get back to the GA/Tenn basketball game on TV and I did not get a third shot with both of the front lights (the 650 back with me and the 250 up near her) on. Oh well, she was patient with me to a point! ;~)

These images are not corrected in any way. They are straight out of a Nikon D200/85/1.8 shot on ISO 200 and spot metering. The camera has a custom WB made with the Expodisc filter. The first image was shot at f2.2 and 1/80". The second one at f2.2 and 1/50".

What do you think about this lighting? Thanks, Bill

Old 02-16-2008   #2
Camel Breath

Default Re: light position

This afternoon I tried some light positions.

The first image shows my 250watt hot light rear pointed on the background and the front light is a 650watt hot light shot into an umbrella and reflected on my wife. The front light is back with me beside my camera. The room has light walls.

The second image shows the same rear light on the background, but this time the front light is a 250watt hot light shot into an umbrella and reflected on her. That light is up near her on her left side (my right side).

She was in a hurry to get back to the GA/Tenn basketball game on TV and I did not get a third shot with both of the front lights (the 650 back with me and the 250 up near her) on. Oh well, she was patient with me to a point! ;~)

These images are not corrected in any way. They are straight out of a Nikon D200/85/1.8 shot on ISO 200 and spot metering. The camera has a custom WB made with the Expodisc filter. The first image was shot at f2.2 and 1/80". The second one at f2.2 and 1/50".

What do you think about this lighting? Thanks, Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSC_6144 650 beside camera copy.jpg (55.7 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg CSC_6149 250 front right copy.jpg (57.8 KB, 348 views)
gaopa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #3
Camel Breath

sorry, I posted the first one w/o the images and now don't know how to delete it.....
Old 02-17-2008   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1385
Editing OK?: Ask first

Hello,
In my opinion you are very close with the second portrait. I would prefer the background illumination was a little less and that the high light/spot on the BG be more behind the subject, with the top part of the light circle breaking no higher than the models eyes. Actually, simply moving and aligning the BG light as I suggested will help a bunch! Good job keep at it!

C Webb
C Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1232
Editing OK?: Ask First

I like the second one as well. You have tried something I told you about the shades. Brings more feeling to a portrait and the lighting is not so flat. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-17-2008   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975

I think that's the best facial lighting on the second I have seen you do. Great job!!!! I think it actually makes her look great!

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 25
Editing OK?: Ask first

Nice images. I'm struggling with a similar set up using two lights and learning as I go.

The first appears to give a very flat image. The second has more detail but in my opinion is less flattering. Perhaps for second one the main light could do with a bigger diffusor (softbox or brolley) and a little light from the right of the subject's face (extra light at at a low output or a reflector)?

Let us know how you get on.
ee50ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #8
Camel Breath

Thanks for the kind words on my photos... I am a learner, but trying hard. I hope you are finding success with your lights. We would like to see some of your photos.

I have started using a reflector to throw some light on the right side of the model's face and like that better.
Welcome to the Camel and Good luck! Bill
Old 02-22-2008   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 1557
Editing OK?: Ask First

the second one is better, try moving the light as close as you can, slightly pointing down. put the reflector parallel to the camera on the other side as close as you can. and the bg light on camera left and try feathering the light to have it go light to dark.
Old 02-24-2008   #10
Camel Breath

Thanks, Tim... when I can talk her back into the studio, I will give your suggestions a try.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: