Easter pictures
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Exclamation Easter pictures

Hello,
This is my first post. I stumbled accross photocamel through looking for information on taking pictures at my church for easter. I enjoyed the advise that was given to a member when he asked about taking Easter pictures for the children at his church. I have somewhat of the same senerio. The ages range from infant to maybe early teenage. I bought a sky bluish backdrop. I am going to suggest that the children bring their easter baskets or whatever else they have for the pictures.
My problem is the lighting, I have 2 hot lights, 1 hair light and 1 background light. I shoot with a Canon 40D with 85mm lense, not a L lense. I want to make sure that the pictures look good and I thought I could handle this but the more I think about it the more I think I need something else. Do I need to get a remote switch? Do I need more than one backdrop? How about the teenagers that is at least 5''7 or more. I am sure they want to take a picture standing. Help!!! I need suggestions, is there anything that I left out that I need? Help!

Old 02-14-2008   #2
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 34
Default Re: Easter pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by gannbailey View Post
Hello,
This is my first post. I stumbled accross photocamel through looking for information on taking pictures at my church for easter. I enjoyed the advise that was given to a member when he asked about taking Easter pictures for the children at his church. I have somewhat of the same senerio. The ages range from infant to maybe early teenage. I bought a sky bluish backdrop. I am going to suggest that the children bring their easter baskets or whatever else they have for the pictures.
My problem is the lighting, I have 2 hot lights, 1 hair light and 1 background light. I shoot with a Canon 40D with 85mm lense, not a L lense. I want to make sure that the pictures look good and I thought I could handle this but the more I think about it the more I think I need something else. Do I need to get a remote switch? Do I need more than one backdrop? How about the teenagers that is at least 5''7 or more. I am sure they want to take a picture standing. Help!!! I need suggestions, is there anything that I left out that I need? Help!
Hi gannbailey,

first order of business: don't panic! You'll be allright if you keep your wits about you. You will bomb if you panic.

If you get one neutral light grey background and a range of colored gels, you'll have a whole range of soft pastel colored backgrounds available by sticking those gels over your background light(s). For relatively very little money.

About the 5'7" teenagers: I'm guessing you are less than 5'7"... so, step onto a small stool!

But what do you mean by that 'remote switch'? What kind of 'remote switch'? What for?

Have fun?
W.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Default Re: Easter pictures

Thanks for your reply, I do feel better today. What you said was correct. I have to continue speaking positive things to myself, if I don't it will show.
I have hot lights, and I don't think that I can use gels with them. I am willing to buy a different light set and practice until that day but I don't know which one to buy. Can you give me some suggestions?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: