How would you light this?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 97
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default How would you light this?

I'm sure there are several different ways to do this, but how would you light and expose this shot?

I'm guessing underexpose the photo and use some off camera flashes (i.e. SB800) to expose the subjects.

Let's hear your ideas.

| David Bailey Photography | Digital Racing Images | Grafix USA |

I have a camera...
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 13200
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: How would you light this?

a bit of exposure compensation might help too, since you have all that sky behind the subjects.

Gear: Canon 5D &40d(gripped), Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Canon 24-70 L,85 f1.8, Speedlights, and Elinchrom 500BxRi, D2 & D4 kit, 22" Speedotron BD, Kacey grid, 53" Elinc Octo, Explorer XT battery

Editing okay. if you can, tell me what you did on the edit though.
Hawk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 34

To determine the lighting angles and placement... look at the shadows and the exposures. To complicate matters, the snow on the ground works as a huge reflector.

Depending on the amount of pp my best (quick) guess would be:

-- The side rim lighting on the faces of the guys on the extreme right and left, along with the cloud lighting behinds kind of indicates the sun directly behind, low in the sky.

-- With the shadow on the second snow board from the left and the overexposure of the snowboard on the extreme left, along with the good exposures on the faces and the bottom of the boot, I would guess an off-camera flash to the left of the photographer/camera (maybe with an umbrella or softbox).

Might be multiple flashes on very small power output. (The snow messes up the guesses).

The guy on the right, up in the air, might be photoshopped in. Same for the guy on the left leaning on the snow board. Again, look at all of the shadows (lack of the same) on the snow on the ground.

** Next guess?
edleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #4
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 34

Spotmeter faces and AEL. Two off-cam flashguns for fill.
W.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Looks like two off camera lights, on either side of the camera and above. Possibly also a big reflector at a 45 below the camera. Light placement must have been tough using the fisheye.
Old 02-14-2008   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 13200

is the OP asking how it was done, or how would you do it if you were there? I took it as the later.

Gear: Canon 5D &40d(gripped), Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Canon 24-70 L,85 f1.8, Speedlights, and Elinchrom 500BxRi, D2 & D4 kit, 22" Speedotron BD, Kacey grid, 53" Elinc Octo, Explorer XT battery

Editing okay. if you can, tell me what you did on the edit though.
Hawk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 97
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk911 View Post
is the OP asking how it was done, or how would you do it if you were there? I took it as the later.
Either is fine. I know there are several different ways to do it, I was just looking for some input on how others would do it or thought this was done.

| David Bailey Photography | Digital Racing Images | Grafix USA |

I have a camera...
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

We do a lot of these posts, and it can be fun to dissect different aspects of a photograph. It's called learning.

jfrancho is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: