another studio session
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2656581
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default another studio session

OK, it is a given that I have light colored walls and ceiling. Today I used one hot lamp (600 watts) pointed into a white umbrella. and my gray background. The camera is a Nikon D200/85/1.8 tripod mounted using ISO 200 and my Expodisc for WB. I used f2 and on the tighter shot 1/250 and the other shot 1/160 sec. These shots are not corrected in PS, just sized. I am pleased with these images, but always open to suggestions.Thanks, Bill P.

File Type: jpg CSC_5432 Sara2.jpg (60.2 KB, 119 views)
gaopa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 56
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: another studio session

I like 2 better, for me the light fall off on the face is too much to make 1 work as well as the second- the eye is lost.
kevgermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgermany View Post
I like 2 better, for me the light fall off on the face is too much to make 1 work as well as the second- the eye is lost.
I agree. The second one is a darn good shot. Good color, composition, and lighting. Personally, I'd have pulled it a little tighter but that's more of my style and not always the best "standard" portrait.

Nice job keeping the glare off of the glasses, btw.
Old 01-19-2008   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First

Try some short lighting with the main light on the other side of her face.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 229974
Smile Re: another studio session

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Try some short lighting with the main light on the other side of her face.
Try turning her head even more towards the front shoulder. Right now you have done terrific with the textured lighting across her clothing. Compare it to the last series. Now if you bring her face around a little more, you'll have short lighting on her face also. You want to have her right ear showing, not her left ear. Don't bring the light around to the other side of her face, bring her face around to the light. Definitely looking better. Your a good learner. I think that you're teachable

I also like #2 better for reasons that it is a feminine head tilt. Tilt towards the front shoulder.
Old 01-19-2008   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2656581
Editing OK?: Yes

OK, thanks for the comments and suggestions. The next session I will try the short lighting and turn her head more to her left (my right). While she is a good sport, she gets tired of being asked to pose. We are going to try some shots of me with her behind the camera. If that goes well, I will post some of those. Cheers, Bill P.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: