Salmon (Red-Orange ) cast photos
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 30
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Salmon (Red-Orange ) cast photos

HEEELP!! I AM A BEGINNER PHOTOGRAPHER AND AM TRYING TO TAKE PICTURES IN MY DAUGHTERS BEDROOM, I HAVE 2-1000 WATTS CONTINUOUS LIGHTS WITH 1-250 WATT HAIR LIGHT AND A NIKON D50 CAMERA SET ON AUTO,APERATURE,SHUTTER THESE SETTINGS TO SEE IF IT WAS MY PROBLEM.THE PROBLEM IS WHEN I USE THE ABOVE SETTINGS MY PICTURES CAME OUT A SALMON,RED-ORANGE COLOR. I WAS TOLD THAT I NEED A PRESET SELECTOR FOR COLOR. PLEASE CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN IN LAYMANS TERM WHAT THAT IS AND HOW DOES IT WORK AND IF INDEED THAT SOUNDS LIKE WHAT I NEED? I EVEN CHANGED MY WHITE BALANCE TO FLOURESENT,FLASH,INDESCSESENT,ETC.IF COULD JUST GET MY PHOTOS TO LOOK LIKE MY DAUGHTER'S SCHOOL PICTURES THEN I KNOW IM GETTING SOMEWHERE.

fosheezy39@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-18-2007   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Salmon (Red-Orange ) cast photos

You need to shoot a "gray card" with the subject and using post processing tools, pick the gray card as the WB selection and all should pop back close.

Even better would be something like a Whi-Bal card, which comes in different sizes that have a black, white, and gray portion to them. You use all three in something like Levels with the 3 eyedroppers and all your casts should go away.

Shooting with mixed lighting can be trickey, so you might not get a one-click solution either.

Google the gray card and/or Whi-Bal. Gray cards can be cheap. Whi-Bal is an actual product and runs anywhere from $30 to $100.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 151938
Editing OK?: Yes

Like Mr. Pickles said shoot a gray card. Check your camera manual and find out how to set a custom white balance or you can fix it in post processing. I am not a Nikon user so I am not sure how to do the custom white balance on your camera but I find with Canon the custom white balance works great and I am sure Nikon's will too.

http://pbase.com/harrydavid
Amateur having fun! Feel free to edit any of my images.
harryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 965208
Editing OK?: No

I shoot Canon but I'm guessing your camera has a "Tungsten" setting. Since you are using tungsten lights the white balance must also be set on tungsten. You have it set for flash or daylight now.

Benji

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: