HELP: Constant misfires using wireless 430EX
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2007   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 589
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default HELP: Constant misfires using wireless 430EX

Hi. Hope this is in the right section. I have a Canon 400d & a 430EX. I bought a 4 channel wireless transmitter and receiver off Ebay (I know, I know, but need to experiment), the type that's made in China. So I set up my 430ex on a tripod with the receiver attached and put the transmitter into the hotshoe of the 400d. Unfortunately I keep getting CONSTANT misfires, I'm talking every 5-10 seconds!!!! I am guessing that the wireless set is a heap of crap, but I also thought that I may be setting it all up wrong. Forgive my ignorance but off-camera flash is all new to me.
These are the settings:
430EX: Slave mode -1 1/3 flash output. (Screen shows ETTL and a little M).
400d: SS 1/160; f8 Manual mode.

I read the 430 EX manual but it obviously doesn't offer any trouble shooting for misfires. I also tried flash in Manual mode and also with switch set to off instead of slave, but the misfires continue.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Beck

rebeccah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: HELP: Constant misfires using wireless 430EX

Are you sure the 430 should be in slave mode? Shouldn't it be in manual flash mode, and slave off for the wireless to work? Slave mode sets it up to work as a slave controlled by an IR signal from a 580 or ST-E2, nad as far as I know, that is a proprietary communication.

Nevermind, I missed your last sentence. Woops. Sounds like a defective unit.
Old 12-16-2007   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

How long does it take to recycle the power so the flash will fire? Might be more than your 5 seconds...?

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

On mine, using fresh Energizer NiMH I can get flash on the first three shots in burst mode at about 1/2 power. Make sure the red pilot light is on before shooting.
Old 12-16-2007   #5
Guanaco

Ok! Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my original post. The flash is going off by itself. The flash recharges, red light goes on, then the flash will suddenly fire by itself. The flash does fire when I press the shutter button, but sometimes I don't even get the chance, it will just suddenly fire without me even doing anything. That's why I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, like having it in the wrong setting. Or is it just defective? So just to clarify, it's nothing to do with me shooting, it's just going off all by itself at random intervals, sometimes every five to ten seconds until I turn it off to stop it so the flash doesn't overheat. The flash takes about 2-3 secs to recharge after it fires.
Thanks,
Beck
Old 12-16-2007   #6
Guanaco

@JFrancho: Can you please clarify for me exactly how to use the 430ex off-camera?
I should set the flash to Manual? And not set the switch to slave? Is that right? I am only using the one flash. Can the receiver that is attached to the flash's hot shoe damage it in any way cause it's not a 'brand name' product?
Thanks,
Beck
Old 12-17-2007   #7
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 32

@rebeccah. Misfiring with the Canon flashes and ebay wireless is pretty common. The 16 channel unit seems to fare better than the 4 channel in that regard. Try changing the channel you are using, sometimes that helps. It could help if you can increase the distance between the flash and the receiver. I use a 16 channel one with the 580EX and have found a channel where it doesn't fire by itself.

As for the flash settings. It should be on manual. You control the output by setting the flash output power. ETTL requires two way communication between the flash and the camera.

John

flickr
jbimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #8
Guanaco

@jbimages: Thank you so much!I may have resolved the problem. I set the flash to manual; set both the transmitter and receiver to channel 2; and moved away a little further and voila!!! No misfires or firing by itself. Yay!I really appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Beck
Old 12-17-2007   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccah View Post
@jbimages: Thank you so much!I may have resolved the problem. I set the flash to manual; set both the transmitter and receiver to channel 2; and moved away a little further and voila!!! No misfires or firing by itself. Yay!I really appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Beck
I'm glad I could help rebeccah. There was a fair bit of discussion on those remotes in the strobist blog (Strobist) some time ago and they have been the subject of a number of threads in the associated flickr group Flickr: Discussing 430EZ with eBay remote triggers not working in Strobist.com

John

flickr
jbimages is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: