Questions re: Slave Set-ups??
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Questions re: Slave Set-ups??

In my previous photo experiences (5.5yrs ago...such a long time) I preferred and primarily worked with controlled studio lighting. I shyed away from location shooting mainly due a lack of knowledge of on-camera flash. I've starting easing back into photography and doing alot of location shoots, therefore I've been building up my knowledge and comfort level with on-camera flash.
So now I'm very eager to take the next step start adding more light to my photography setups, especially large groups at weddings etc, and want to learn more about Slave setups.
I have a Nikon D40x and an SB-600 flash, as well as an old vivtar 285. In my recent research, I've discovered that I can use my sb-600 has my main flash and set up my old vivitar up as a slave unit using a wireless trigger. However, I still have some questions surrounding how to set it up and what equipment to use, so as to not damage my camera.
1.What trigger systems are safest/best for my camera type Nikon D40x?
2.From the products I've seen online- the trigger is put in the hot shoe mount and I assume I connect my SB-600 with a sync cord, but will I still have full dedication? Or am I forced to only use it in manual mode and therefore full dedication is not an option?
3. I also understand that I'd connect my Vivatar to a receiver on the same radio channel, so when my sb-600 fires, the vivitar knows to fire as well, but because the trigger is now in the hot shoe mount of my camera, is best to hand hold the SB-600 above my camera or off to the side or invest in something like a stroboframe??
4. Do I use an external light meter or the one in my camera, once the system is connected?
I have a feeling my questions might be "the tip of the iceberg" with regards to going about slave set-ups, but any information I can get is great appreciated. I'm very eager to get more light in my photography...please help! :O)

Old 12-14-2007   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Questions re: Slave Set-ups??

The SB-600 doesn't have a sync port. You'll have to add one using sync cord to hotshoe adapter.

Quote:
4. Do I use an external light meter or the one in my camera, once the system is connected?
The light meter in your camera doesn't display any kind of information regarding flash, and can only meter anything using an i-TTL capable form of connection, i.e. a SB-400/600/800 directly in the hotshoe or a SC-28/29 cord. You'll need an external light meter if you want to use both your SB-600 and 285 off-camera.

cyclohexane is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: