Santa Pictures
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007   #1
dgs
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 359
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Santa Pictures

I have volunteered to take Santa pictures for my (non-profit) company. I need some experience and some pictures to build a portfolio. I have a 4 light Novatron set with shoot umbrellas, both shoot through and normal. There will be a big chair and a tree. I will not have a background so I was not thinking of having a background light, just let it go dark. I have heard pros and cons about lighting, many say just to use flat lighting. I have thought about butterfly, I think rembrandt would be difficult with the clild setting in the lap. What would yall suggest. I have a light meter, and should be able to get it fairly close, and I don't have a lot of space. If I do use flat lighting, should I just put the light directly behind the camera? that is not what I want to do. They do not have any preconceived ideas, so I can do it how I want it.

thanks,
Danny

dgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 93
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Santa Pictures

KISS - I would suggest one light in an umbrella above the camera. Shoot at your highest synch speed to minimize the ambient light so your background will go dark. That'll give you your butterfly.

Alternately, 2 lights - 45 degrees to right and left of subject in umbrellas - equal output.

FWIW - I shot a Christmas party a week or so ago with my D300/SB800/Fong Dong. For the Santa shots, I shot in shutter priority at 60th/second - SB800 on TTL +3. Santa was sitting in front of a brightly lit tree (all white lights). The SB800 comes with color correction gels, so I shot with a tungsten WB. The client was VERY happy with the results, and I have been hired to shoot her 50th birthday party in February.
eselby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #3
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 34
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by eselby View Post
KISS - I would suggest one light in an umbrella above the camera. Shoot at your highest synch speed to minimize the ambient light so your background will go dark. That'll give you your butterfly.

Alternately, 2 lights - 45 degrees to right and left of subject in umbrellas - equal output.
Ed's right: KISS!

Another, maybe more 'interesting' light set-up: 1 umbrella to the left (or right) at 60 degrees off-axis, and a BIIIIG reflector on the opposite side, just outside the frame for fill.

Like so:

1 square = 1 square foot
SDG Photo - Lighting Studio

Have fun!
W.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #4
dgs
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 359
Editing OK?: Yes

Thanks, guys, it seems everyone seems to recommend kiss for this kind of shot.

thanks,
Danny

dgs is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: