Underexposure in portrait position.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 33
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Underexposure in portrait position.

I have rather a strange 'problem' with my simple flash set-up - odd that I've never really noticed it before. Using on-camera flash, and holding the camera upright in the portrait position, my images come out with about -0.7EV underexposure. Direct or bounce - it makes no difference.
I just cannot explain this one, whether it's because the reflector is optimized for horizontal operation, or perhaps because the camera is second guessing me and reducing the flash output for an assumed portrait, I really have no idea! I can always dial in the compensation but it's annoying when you're switching between styles and forget to re-set it.

Anyone recall having a similar hassle?

Old 12-08-2007   #2
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 34
Default Re: Underexposure in portrait position.

The metering sensor pattern gets different results at 90 degree angles?
I would expect it to.
W.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 1855123

Seems like it could be related to what is mentioned. Not sure what camera you have or your metering dynamics but you might try setting it to spot metering instead of some matrix setting.

J T
J T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 33

OK..... solved it.......... pilot error! It was a metering problem of sorts - by holding the camera vertically it was picking up a small, white object in the foreground that was only just in the frame and thus adjusting the flash intensity to that rather than the main subject. Oh... the embarrassment!
As you may have already gathered, I don't get to use flash a lot........

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: