Lighting Set-up #2. Still trying to learn.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 151938
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lighting Set-up #2. Still trying to learn.

Thanks to all your help from my last thread her I tried a bunch of different set-ups last night, my model was not real cooperative because he was 3 but I think this is the best I came up with. Where do I go from here?

Here is the set-up, the reflector is not doing anything I forgot to move it out of the way for the shot.

The result

http://pbase.com/harrydavid
Amateur having fun! Feel free to edit any of my images.
harryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 2840131
Default Re: Lighting Set-up #2. Still trying to learn.

I don't see a hair light, If you don't have one, use your soft box as your main and put your reflector camera right for fill and use the second (fill) light as a hair light.
JACKCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #3
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKCAT View Post
I don't see a hair light, If you don't have one, use your soft box as your main and put your reflector camera right for fill and use the second (fill) light as a hair light.
Thanks Jack, I just ordered another light and a boom arm from AlienBee to use as a hair light.

Old 12-07-2007   #4
F1 Camel

harry, as has been said, ask 100 photographers how to light something you'll get 100 different answers. The beauty of living in this day and age is we have digital cameras and we can take a picture and see results NOW! Use it to your benefit and shoot, view and adjust till you get what your looking for. From what I've seen of your work, your there...just keep at it. Sometime I'll pull a pic I like from a magazine and try to copy it. By doing this you start to learn from your mistakes.
Old 12-07-2007   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 120
Editing OK?: Ask First

How far are the 2 strobes from him? They look too far to me, maybe it is the wide angle lens. For JZ lighting, I keep the SB straight. Well I have been keeping it straight for some other shots and I think I like it that way as it gives that featherd looks.

BTW - I do see some hotspots on his face by the nose. Could be my work laptop monitor.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #6
F1 Camel

Thanks Jack the problem is I think I like what I see until I get it in the computer. I think the biggest problem is I am not sure what I am looking for, I know I don't want the lighting too flat but it seems if it is not the shadows are too harsh a lot of the time.

Bobby I think I had the softbox about 1 foot in front of him and 2 feet to the side, the umbrella is behind him 3 feet and about 4 feet to the side of him. You are right about the a few hot spots, this is straight from the camera, just resized, converted to sRGB and a little sharpening.

Old 12-07-2007   #7
F1 Camel

Try moving the soft box about 4 to 5 ft away and don't point it directly at him, just a little in front of him then use the reflector on the opposite side pointed directly at him.
Old 12-07-2007   #8
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKCAT View Post
Try moving the soft box about 4 to 5 ft away and don't point it directly at him, just a little in front of him then use the reflector on the opposite side pointed directly at him.
Jack that is what I did on the first try and most said to move the softbox closer. Here is that set-up: http://photocamel.com/forum/lighting...-me-learn.html I hope to get to play again over the weekend with an older "Model" who will set still and play with positioning more with the lights and try to figure it out more.

Old 12-07-2007   #9
F1 Camel

Like I said, ask a hundred and you'll get a hundred different answers. While your shooting this weekend, do some tests... move the main in and out, point it directly at the subject then point it in front of the subject. Do it with a fill light , do it without a fill light, do it with a reflector, KEEP NOTES and when you get them into your computer you can compair them. Take what you like from all of them and begin to refine your set up.
Old 12-08-2007   #10
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 30
Editing OK?: Ask First

hi i bought my lighting equipment that i never used it literly sits on my room floor collecting dust i dont even know how to set it up but if i could get my pictures to look like that!!!! at least ive gotten some where!
fosheezy39@sbcglobal.net

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: