METERING QUESTION - 1/3, 1/2, 2/3s ???
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 429841
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default METERING QUESTION - 1/3, 1/2, 2/3s ???

Having just recently acquired a Sekonic L-358, I am stuck at one point of the learning curve. I don't THINK I'm quite getting it when I see/hear about metering the background or hair or other item some degree less than that of the model. I.e., 1/3 stop, 2/3 stop, 1/2 stop. When metering, what constitutes 1/3 stop or 1/2 stop??

I thought I knew, but now after reading a couple of tutorials and articles, I don't think I'm setting my lighting correctly with the meter.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-04-2007   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 965208
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: METERING QUESTION - 1/3, 1/2, 2/3s ???

Jim,

First of all set the meter up so it will read 1/3rd stop readings. It is now by default set up for the 1/10th stop settings from the factory. This was great for film cameras which had apertures in 1/2 stop detents on the lens barrel, but not for digital cameras which are set up for 1/3rd stop ranges. How it is done is in the manual. I did mine and it is simple. You change two of the little switches inside the battery compartment opening. By setting it up to read 1/3rd stop increments it will correspond exactly to what your camera reads and it will then make more sense.

The aperture range of each lens may start and end at different numbers, but every lens is supposed to transmit the same amount of light at any given aperture. In other words you meter a scene and the meter says to use F 8 @ 1/1/25, so you shoot an image with your wide angle lens, then you decide to shoot another image with your telephoto lens. You can use the same F 8 @ 1/1/25 that you used on the wide angle lens on your telephoto lens and you should get an identical exposure.

The digital range is as follows.
F 4.0
F 4.5
F 5.0
F 5.6
F 6.3
F 7.1
F 8.0
F 9
F10
F11
F13
F14
F16
F18
F20
F22

There is 1/3 of a stop difference between each value. So f 5.6 + 2/3rds of a stop is F 7.1 If you are reading a lighting set up and it says the photographer used F 8 1/2 on the background you will need to meter yours at F 10 which is actually 1/10th of one stop more than F 8 1/2 but no one will be able to tell you are 1/10th of a stop off.

Benji
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #3
Vicuna

Benji,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I was thinking that every stop, i.e., 6.3, 7.1, 8, etc. was a full stop, not 1/3 stop. Now my tired ol' brain can relax a little as this makes a lot more sense.

I'm still not sure about my meter though. I've set the dip switches as shown in the manual, but all of the readings continue in 1/10s whether it's set for 1/3 or 1/2 stops. I'll have to re-read and try it again or am I somehow misreading the meter??

Thanks again... Jim
Jim K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #4
Photocamel Master

RU sure it is still reading in 1/10th stops and not 1/3rd? Take it outside and switch it to ambient and take several readings and see what they are.

Ben
Old 12-04-2007   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4385
Editing OK?: Ask First

What happened to everything from f 1.0 to f4.0?
grsphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

They don't work in digital.

just kidding!
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #7
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsphoto View Post
What happened to everything from f 1.0 to f4.0?
Lenses that start at F 1 are astronomical in price, For instance the Canon EF 50mm F 1L USM lens (when it was available) was about $2500.00. Most photographers cannot afford these lenses so I didn't include the apertures below F 4 in my list.

Ben
Old 12-04-2007   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4385

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
They don't work in digital.

OH NO.... and they were some of my favourite ones
grsphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #9
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post
RU sure it is still reading in 1/10th stops and not 1/3rd? Take it outside and switch it to ambient and take several readings and see what they are.

Ben
I will have to get back to you on that. With my hours now, it's dark when I leave in the morning and dark when I get home at night. Although, I guess I could bring it to work with me....hmmm.

I'll let you know tomorrow.

thanks again....
Jim K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #10
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post

Ben
Ben,

I now realize my problem. I had inadvertently switched dip-switch #3 down (off). As noted in the manual, the readings will then be in full stops and the aperature readings will be in 1/10 stops.

Now it has all come together.....

Thanks again.

Jim

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: